Where's my bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mesadler, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mesadler macrumors newbie

I have a PB that I ordered last August. I just got a Bluetooth cell phone and am trying to use it with my PB, but the icon at the top of the screen says bluetooth: not available.

I checked my order which was for a
    PBG4 15/1.67/1X512/80/SD/APX/BT-USA
    M9677LL/A.

So...I think that I ordered BT. The order reflects it, but there's seemingly no bluetooth installed. This is confirmed when running the firmware updater.

Did I order a computer without BT? I paid $2,099.00 with the student discount in August 2005.

Thanks

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Have you tried to turn your BT on? Your order shows BT. Is it on your menu bar (right side by your Airport)?

3. mesadler thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I have. But it says not available.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have to go look on my iMac to help further (iBook) doesn't have BT :rolleyes:

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Go in your HD/Apps. then go to Utilities and look for the Bluetooth File Exchange Icon. If that's not there you may want to use Spotlight to do a search for it.

6. mesadler thread starter macrumors newbie

In order to use this application, you must have a Bluetooth module. Please verify that your Bluetooth hardware is properly attached to the computer.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well, you should still have AppleCare (Aug. 05 you bought it?) I'd give them a call as you may have to get it fixed unless someone else knows if it's built in or like the Airport Card and presses into place. I think it's built in. Really though it sounds like it's bad or has a bad connection.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

One more thing is you might want to go through the rest of your PB, such as the SD (superdrive) and make sure you can burn dvds/dvd dl (if you have that on yours) just a once over to make sure that the BT is the only thing.

Try putting your Hardware disc in and letting that run as it might pickup that BT is bad or not as Apple will ask if you tried that yet.

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That model of PB definitely came with blue-tooth as standard, so I too think it might just be a bad connection/faulty module. Give Applecare a call and they should sort it out for you.

10. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Have you tried a restart? A couple of times when I have gone to use BT I get the options shaded out and appears to have be able to find the bluetooth adaptor, but after a restart all is well.