Where's my hard drive capacity going??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OrangeCuse44, Dec 22, 2006.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I have been keeping a close eye on my system performance since getting my macbook with istatpro widget. Recently i have backed up about 3-5 dvds using mactheripper and toast. I noted the hard drive capacity remaining before and after each rip and burn and noticed that after i delete the folder in which the dvd was ripped on my hard drive, my capacity remaining doesnt return to the initial size. For example, after the last dvd, i went from 63.70gb free to 63.66. Are there other files being saved to my computer that im not deleting or what? Please help.

2. twentyone macrumors newbie

Only thing I could think of is if you aren't emptying the trash can.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

When you make a burn folder, it doesn't actually copy the contents into the folder, it's only a reference for Finder to locate files to burn onto the disc. So, if you delete this burn folder you're not really removing any files. This applies to anything burned using Finder. If using Toast, you are probably just dragging in files from some location on your HD, in which case I assume you then drag the files to the Trash after you are done burning. Like the Above Poster said, are you emptying the Trash?

4. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Yes i emptied the trash. If you read my first post, i get back almost all of the capacity after i completely remove it. Its the .04 gigs im losing, which is a very small amount, but over time it adds up. I was just curious why this would happen.

Actually 4% of a gig is 40 megs, which isnt that small after all.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

not necessarily an answer to your question, but here's a recent thread where someone was looking to free up some HD space with some useful ways to recover some GBs.

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Use Monolingual to remove languages, that should free up a couple of gigs.

Also, check out Disk Inventory X, which provides a visual representation of all the files on your hard drive according to size. Simply an amazing program.

You can also remove programs that typically take up a lot of hard drive space, like GarageBand if you don't use it.

One more thing (tm) check out AppZapper to uninstall programs. It takes all the little preference and miscellaneous files that simply dragging and dropping a program icon to the trash may leave behind.

Happy holidays!

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed gauchogolfer...I would suggest you go into the drive and pull all the stuff that has been left behind...There might be some stuff around.

Bless