where's my serial number

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iEric, Jan 20, 2007.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

so i got the logic board replaced a couple of weeks ago on my mbp because it was making that whining noise and i couldn't stand it anymore.

i want to buy apple care before the year is up but i can't seem to find the serial number because after the repair it doesn't show up in system profiler. (see pic)

what should i do?

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh right. i'm such a dumbass. thanks.

i dont know if i should buy apple care though -- i usually upgrade my laptop every 2 years...

what do you think

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Apple Menu -> About This Mac then click where it says Version 10.x.x to toggle version number, build number and (you may heve guessed it already) serial number.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Doesn't that just read the same info System Profiler does, and thus disappears after a logic board replacement?

And regarding the AppleCare, I prefer to get it for my portables. It'll add some resale value to your machine when you look to get rid of it, but I don't really have a feel for how much that would be.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That I don't know... it might, but I would think it was rather silly if it did... </shrug>

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Yep, when the Logic Board is replaced you can't see the serial number from the System Profiler.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

It does try to read it from System Profiler.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Good thing I never needed that after I had to change the logic board on my old Pismo, then... :)

10. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Definitely put the extra money into apple care. In my experience even if you just have the laptop for a bit over the warranty date, having applecare A. does increase resale value if you can sell it with it still having a year or 1.5 years of warranty left on it and B. if ANYTHING goes wrong or you even get unwanted hinge damage or someting you can usually (after some creative calls and asking) get apple to replace anything for you. I had my tibook go in for a slight hinge repair (even a bit after apple care was up, but they still fixed it as I had it at one point.. and gave mea grace period) and got them to replace the whole top casing and screen which is increasing its resale value DRAMATICALLY.

It's a good investment, sides, if you bring an umbrella it won't rain, get applecare you won't need it.

if you dont' get it though, you'll trip walking down the stairs and your laptop will go flying and the screen will fly off. lol :) ::knocks on wood:::