Where's my 'Ting' gone?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andy G, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Andy G macrumors member

Since upgrading my G4 Titanium Powerbook from 10.2.8 to Tiger, my Mail application no longer gives me a sound alert (wineglass 'ting') when new mail arrives - I have checked alert volume and it seems ok. Andy thoughts?

Andy G

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is annoying - it happened to me in Panther, and still happens occasionally in Tiger. The solution is to go into Mail's preferences and re-select the new mail notification sound you want.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've discarded the New Mail sound altogether, and set up a couple of Mail rules that play different sounds when I get new Mail on some of my accounts: I get one sound for my "private" mail, another for my "school" mail accounts and no sound when I get new mail on my online registration/spam mail accounts... ;)

4. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

Still no 'Ting' . . .

Ok, so I've re-selected the alert sound in Mail preferences, but still no joy.

Any other ideas out there?

Andy G

5. frenetic macrumors regular

I have found out that logging out, or a restart, usually fixes the problem. I have also noticed that the problem lies with using an external sound interface... I occasionally use an emagic emi 2|6 interface, and after having used it my email does not give the new mail sound anymore. As long as I don't use the emi mail "sounds off" as expected. I guess the problem lies with core audio, which has been updated thoroughly in Tiger.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I lost a few sounds last week, but not the new mail sound, and the solution I got from the Apple support forums was to open then close Garageband.

Weird, but it worked for me.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Garageband initializes CoreAudio when it starts. That might be what's needed to fix the problem - resetting CoreAudio.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks, that was really puzzling me. I'd tried pretty much everything else but quickly running Garageband ended up being the only solution.

9. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

I don't have Garageband on this machine, so how do I reset CoreAudio?

Thanks again,

Andy

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A reboot should do it, too.

11. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

Still no joy after several reboots -

I'm still without my Mail 'ting' - all other sounds seem ok . . .

Any other routes I could explore, anyone?

Thanks,

Andy

12. tomas1601 macrumors newbie

I lost a number of sounds, and resetting coreaudio did the trick. What i did was type "sudo killall coreaudiod" in the terminal, followed by my admin password.

Cheers

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good tip tomas1601. I've since learnt that you can also resolve this bug through Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder. You just need to change the Output Format to 44100Hz. :)