Where's simple finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TyWahn, May 7, 2005.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2003
    In Panther I had an account set up for my son to use the computer. I had it set up so he could only use SAfari, and I turned the Simple Finder on so he could not "accidently" cange things in my HD... Now with Tiger that option has disappeared. Could somebod please direct me in the right direction?
  2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    uhm.. Tiger has full parental controls.. goto the accounts area.. if you have an account setup for just your son then he shouldn't have access to anything but his own account.. meaning you made him a normal user..

ah roaming aorund i found this. create the user.. don't give admin access. then click the username, goto parental controls, check finder, then configure for finder.. it has "Some Limits" and "Simple Finder"
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think all you need to do is go to the Parental Controls tab within System Preferences->Accounts (while logged in to an admin account).

Check "Finder & System", then hit "Configure...", then select Simple Finder.

Tiger's parental controls are vastly more flexible and powerful than Panther's. It might be worth the time to read up on them, perhaps.

Edit: didn't mean for that to sound condescending. I don't know a lot about the new controls - I was just mentioning that perhaps it'd be a good idea for you to learn more about them.
  4. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2003

You guys rock!! Thanks a lot. I just wasn't digging deep enough.