where's some pixlet?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jjm3, Nov 8, 2003.

1. jjm3 macrumors member

jjm3

the language for two weeks now on http://www.apple.com/macosx/ has implied that there's a pixlet sample clip to download and check out, but there's no link or anything remotely clickable around this part of the webpage. I wanna see some pixlet! where can I?

Attached Files:

2. legion macrumors 6502a

vapourware. (sad to say... my friends at Pixar say it doesn't exist from their side.. though maybe Apple's development team is engineering it and just branding it to have a similar name to Pixar)

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Pixlet misconceptions

I think most people are a bit confused about what Pixlet can do for you.

If you are not doing professional video editing... it will do nothing for you.

Zip. nothing. nada.

It's never meant to used by a consumer. If you are using iMovie or Final Cut Express.... you will never need to use it. If you are using any brand of Digital Video (DV) cam, you will never need to use it.

Pixlet is a vast improvement over uncompressed hi-def video... but none of you are (likely) working with uncompressed hi-def video.

arn

4. jjm3 thread starter macrumors member

jjm3

i noticed from my work in after effects cleaner that i can't yet encode to it. i just wanna see some. movie trailers, examples, whatever. i just wanna see some pixlet playin' on my screen...

5. Edot macrumors 6502

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It is a quicktime codec and can be used to export quicktime movies. I would assume that any application that uses quicktime to export video would also be able to use it.

6. jjm3 thread starter macrumors member

jjm3

oh hey wow you're right... i'd never tried rendering one of my HD comps from after effects to pixlet... i see it as an option now. still, i'd love to see some pixlet content and not just my own filtery work...

7. legion macrumors 6502a

Re: Pixlet misconceptions

Work in uncompressed SDI and HD... still no notable improvement. Still waiting since the announcement from the summer for something substantial (luckily I have drive arrays that can handle uncompressed with no issue and I haven't had to move projects to other groups (in otherwords, this is not a critical development for me)... which is the real bonus. Still, I'd love to see what it could do for my work-flow)

8. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Excuse this dumb question for a second. I cannot even find Pixlet on my mac. Is it built into another program when you choose export?

9. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

you on Panther?

10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Yes. I did a search and typed in Pixlet and it did not find anything? I was not sure if it was a program by itself, or built into another one. I only loaded the first two discs, maybe it is on the third?

11. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It's not a program. It's a video format. Try looking in Quicktime Pro.

12. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It's an export option in QT (Pro needed I think), I have a 1 minute clip in Pixlet, 800x600, 150 megs. I don't want to kill my servers bandwidth.

13. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Okay, thanks!

14. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Your 1 minute clip really shouldn't be 150MB. Did you convert it from the pure uncompressed file? From what I've heard, if you were to convert a compressed file into Pixlet, it uses a ridiculous amount of space. However, from the uncompressed, it has a 20-25:1 compression. A 1 minute DV clip should be, at worst, 10MB. I know you're not using DV, but 150MB seems too high.

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It was converted from.... 4.5 Gigs of .mov files rendered in Cinema 4d. It's crazy, 1 minute of footage, 4.5 gigs, but this is at max quality at every stage. My hard drive can't keep up, sometimes the buffer runs out and it drops some frames.