Where's the 17" display?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by coconn06, Oct 27, 2004.

1. coconn06 macrumors regular

I recently bought a 17" LCD from LG to go with my new PowerMac (not ordered yet, getting anxious).

Apple's cheapest monitor right now is $1299 and is 20". Why don't they update their 17" and offer that? Or make an even cheaper 17" LCD and sell that as a low-end monitor? I love Apple's monitors, but they're forcing people to go elsewhere for their display needs.

2. iEric macrumors 6502a

they probably thought the 17" was too small. and I agree with them if they they think that. I did a yearbook on a 17" and it was so bad cause in InDesign I needed so much more space. A 20" or 22" would have been nice to use. but oh well.
    They still offer the clear plastic 17" though.

3. iEric macrumors 6502a

oops, never mind, just checked the site and they don't

(better post this before people start freakin' out on me)

4. coconn06 thread starter macrumors regular

But most people aren't professionals using InDesign or other programs like it. For me, 17" is perfect (19" might be better, but even those are $600). My ideal situation is an extended with 2 17" LCDs, which I could get for $800. $500 less than Apple's current cheapest LCD.

5. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Apple does not have a 17 inch display mainly because these monitors are focusing on the higher end market. while you can get 2 displays for cheaper, none of those displays are even half the quality of an apple display yet alone a previous generation display. Apple has always taken the time, spent the money and developed the highest quality displays in terms of colors produced, crispness and speed and the 20/23/30 inch cinema displays show this. They do not need to approach the 17 inch market because these monitors they make are catering to people who have already bought a DP G5 machine and can probably afford in their mind to shell out more money for the best screen
    Yeah this is pretty bad, but it is life

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apple has not taken ANY time on their displays, the screens are LG/Philips, all Apple do it put them in a case and ship 'em off :rolleyes:

I don't know why they stopped producing a 17", they would sell plently of them, there are a lot more people that can afford to pay for a good 17" than there are can afford a 20/23/30!.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Truth, and have they solved (or even admitted to) the pink hue issue on the 23" yet?

btw, edesignuk, like the latest pic. I'd love to be that towel :p

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not as far as I know, what a joke! If I'd just dropped over £1.5k on a screen and it was pink...I'd be SERIOSULY pissed off!

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You can really see a big difference when you have the 23" display next to the 20" in the Apple Store. While I'm not sure it would bug me all that much at home, in my softly lit environment, it would probably make me go for the 20.
    Gee, if Apple were smarter, they'd have made the low-end display pink and fixed the 23, drive some sales up the chain a little... :D

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, yesterday, when I went to see if they had any iPod Photos in yet (yes, I could have just called, but...), the Apple Store in Rockingham Mall (Salem, NH) had just gotten the 30" displays in. They had them set up with dual-2.5s. I saw none of the 'pink' issue with them, although that could have been because it was hard to see through my tears of joy. I've been wanting to upgrade my 20" for some time now, and had been thinking of the 23". Now... I'll just have to save for quite a bit longer and get the 30". Do I need a 30"? No. But now I can tell myself that I don't want to deal with a pink hue in my new display. Yeah, that sounds good.