wheres the HD space? macbookpro 100gb hd

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by starstreak, Apr 29, 2006.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

I noticed that the 100gb harddrive has only 74gb free? Wheres all the space? I understand HD loss after formatting (100gb formatting to 95gb or something), but I didn't ox x was that big?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes....Garageband and it's associated files take up around 5 GB by themselves. Printer drivers another 2-3 GB. A full install of Tiger and its apps takes up a lot of room.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

also iDVD takes up about 2GB of space i believe

4. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

ok how to remove properly

Ok, dumb question, so how do I remove things I don't want like the garageband and stuff to make more room? Can I just drag the file to the trash?

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yep drag the applications you don't want to the trash, then try to find the garage band loops and iDVD themes which is what takes up most of the space.

6. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

iDVD is only 54.4 MB & GarageBand is only 75.5 MB.

WTF?

I was gonna back up my whole harddrive on to my iMac & reinstall but do you think that would really do anything?

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

There's application Support files in the library folders.

8. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. How much space do you think I can clear?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's not the applications themselves that are big...it's the support files. DVD themes, GarageBand loops, etc. They're generally buried in the Application Support folders...do a Spotlight search for the names of the applications and find the associated folders you'll find them to be quite big.

Depends on how much you get rid of. I have a 500MHz iBook with only a 10 GB hard drive. The only iLife app I use on this computer is iTunes, so everything else was either removed or never installed in the first place during the custom install. I've got the OS install down around 3.5 GB. Another 500 MB for Office, and I've still got over 5 GB free.

10. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Here's another stupid question.

If I delete iDVD and iMovie and all their support files and themes because I'm not planning on using them, how would I go about reinstalling them if it turns out I do need them later? I can't recall whether there's an iLife disc in my computer box...

Daniel.

11. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I think iLife comes with the OS X disc, I'll pop it in & check.
    I'm going to reinstall though, right now I am backing up all my stuff.
    (I only have 16.6 GB of data...& on my 80 GB harddrive there is only 20 left...& I'm not doing anything!)

I know that 11.1 of my data is 'cause of iTunes. I just don't think that OS X should be hogging so much space...since my iMac only uses 20 for the OS, WITH my 11.1 GB iTunes.

12. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Okay, so here's what happened. I backed up my iTunes library which was 11.27 GB (I downloaded 5 more TV shows, so that's why it is different from the 11.1 GB noted earlier) onto my eMac. I burned the rest of my data onto 3 DVD's. After that, I reinstalled the OS & I installed all necessary updates. Before I didn't have Windows XP installed, & this 2nd time around I do. After reinstalling OS X & XP also, I have twice the harddrive space I did before with the exact same data (well, mine anyway; not the system's) as before. So if you haven't reinstalled yet I reccomend you do that.

before:
    22.9 GB available
    51.3 used

after (now):
    45.8 available
    28.4 used

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Accounting for your 11 GB of your own stuff, OS X and its associated apps shouldn't have taken up 40 GB. But a complete reinstall probably wasn't necessary. If it happens again, use something like OmniDiskSweeper or WhatSize to look for files and folders that might be eating up huge chunks of drive space inappropriately.

14. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I already deleted all the files that were taking a bunch of space.

That is why I reinstalled 'cause SOMETHING that a bunch of utilities couldn't find was taking up waaaaaaaay too much space.