Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
i see magsafe adapters for household ac
i see magsafe adapters for airplane dc

why do i not see a magsafe adapter for autos?

it seems that would make all kinds of sense, rather than pugging in an inverter to change dc to ac and then plugging in my home/office magsafe into that to change it back to dc again. where's the logic?

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Why not just get an inverter? Save your money.

They car magsafe would probably cost more than an inverter given how badly they overprice these things nowadays. On special, the inverter would probly be 10-20 bucks, plus you can use it with your laptop, ipod, small tv, etc anything

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
even with an inverter I would not recommend using your MB or MBP or any laptop or notebook. The power that comes out of your 12V car adaptor is not clean and has a lot of variance. Hence dirty power.

I don't think manufacturers want to be liable for this therefore you don't see those things.

keyepitts

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Joliet, Il
With the modern electronics in autos, I think a dc-dc adaptor would be safer than an inverter( which simulates an a-c sine wave). That said, I have charged my MB on the road many times with an inverter( I unplug it when starting or stopping the engine just to be safe, as this would be the most likely time to get a power surge or sag). To be extra safe I guess you could plug the inverter into an uninteruptible power supply.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
With the modern electronics in autos, I think a dc-dc adaptor would be safer than an inverter( which simulates an a-c sine wave). That said, I have charged my MB on the road many times with an inverter( I unplug it when starting or stopping the engine just to be safe, as this would be the most likely time to get a power surge or sag). To be extra safe I guess you could plug the inverter into an uninteruptible power supply.

well, i suppose you really should have a surge protector strip installed also to protect the uninteruptible power supply and rest of the system. and the ups would be real good for having backup power for the times you're waiting for AAA to come along and jump your dead battery on cold mornings. there's nothing more frustrating than having nothing to do while waiting for AAA. would a solar charger work on this system?
is there anything else we need to add - besides a coffee pot and refrigerator and microwave?

keyepitts

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Joliet, Il
Yeah- I was thinking a REALLY long extesion cord... Most inverters have a low voltage cutoff so they don't run your battery down( you're only charging your mac battery!). Seriously don"t worry, plug it in it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.