Where's Time Machine...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nym, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

when you need it...

I just noticed that a folder where I keep all the dmg's I download disappeared from my Macintosh HD... it was my whole application backup and poof, it's gone, yes, I've searched spotlight and nothing came up...

Does anyone know of a software that can recover deleted files? Although I never deleted it.. it's so strange, I figure it's worth a shot...

Thx in advance :)

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

File recovery programs like FileSalvage and DataRescue II run about $80-$100, and they're obviously only effective if the data hasn't been overwritten by something else. The longer it's been since you deleted the folder, the less likely it is you will be able to recover much.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The ostentatious yet flamboyant WildCowboy's Data Rescue II includes a demo that will not recover your data, but will be able to tell you if it's recoverable. :)

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Time Machine is in the future. I just wish I had a time machine!

5. mpw Guest

It's in your applications folder........just not yet.

6. Nym thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nym

It will be soon :)

Hmm, I give up, the folder just disappeared and now I must accept the fact that I lost it all.. I had a lot of apps there, it's just a shame to lose them...
    It was like a VersionTracker backup :) I'm really sad... :(

7. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

Yeah. If you really want this back (or to increase your chances of getting as much back as possible) do not use the computer until you try out the trial version of the data recovery tool to determine if you can even recover anything.

Even if you do not specifically "save" anything to the drive, the system uses the HDD for a few things and writes data often - and it always seems to go right where you had that finally finished, sure-to-be-#1-on-the-NYT's-bestseller-list Great American Novel, this morning's sit-rep (yup, happened to me too) or whatever you lost and didn't back up yet...:mad: