Where's Your Junk Drawer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, May 2, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Where is that "catch all" drawer that is filled with junk (half of which you could probably stand to throw out)?

We have one in the kitchen that is filled with everything from cat toys to razor knives to a cleaver, and I have one at my desk that is filled with USB cables, mice, rubber bands, paper clips....

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I think mine happens to be my floor.

God do i need to clean my room. Once i get my UPS and another Table in my room i will be all ready to clean my room up completely.

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

We have one in the kitchen filled with carryout menus, receipts, manuals, magnets, paper clips, rubber bands, scissors, pencils, pens... the odd nail or screw, tape, envelopes, stamps, swiss army knife, etc.

I've meant to clean it multiple times now, but then I open the damn thing up and realize (once again) the hours it would take to tidy it up and just close the hell-in-a-drawer monstrosity back up... of course after sliding the countless other papers, pens, sunglasses, keys, etc. that have accumulated on the counter. :)

4. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

We've got one in the kitchen which has nothing of any use. The back part of it contains old cellphones and batteries, dishtowels, recipes, and the front has some pill bottles with daily meds.

I also have one in the garage. :eek:

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

At home I have one in my bedroom, in a bed-side table/chest of draws thing. I fill it with all of the stuff I don't know where else to put - sentimental birthday cards, broken bits off gadgets, gift vouchers, driver cds, buttons that have come off, old wallets and watches, manuals etc...

Edit: I can totally relate to the floor thing as well.

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I know exactly what you mean... our office is a complete disaster area because the two smaller computer desks that we have now are going to be replaced soon with side-by-side Galant desks from the Ikea that is about to imminently open in just over one month's time. What's the point in cleaning the mess now, when we can re-do the whole room in one month, right? :)

7. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

haha,
    My junk drawer has extended itself from a small bin, to several bins, to a entire closet.. Now I have a closet full of bins (full of random hardware and cables), and several other bins under my desk, full of random software/blank media, and overflow hardware.. When these bins overflow to my desk, then it's time to clean house.. I just can't bring myself to throw away something that might have a slight chance of being used in the next 100 years..

O-ya, I have no problem throwing away perfectly good junk that's not computer related. I'm a pack rat, but only for computer stuff.. (and maybe Simpsons paraphernalia)

8. iRachel macrumors 6502a

The top drawer of my desk - which is in my living room since I don't have an office. I'm sure if dug through there I would find stuff that I thought I threw away five years ago.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Used to have one drawer at the kitchen... now we have 2 whole chest of drawers in a closet (with 2 more ready to be filled up)... and, basically our whole guest room/office is one big junk drawer... :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I have two:

- A Big box on the floor filled with old computer parts
    - A drawer in my closet that I'm afraid to open. I'm not really sure what's in there anymore... I think I heard it moving the other day :p

11. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Mine should be in my desk where I am now sitting. It is a new desk, replacing an old "Partner's" desk that hadn't got the surface area to cope with all of this computer stuff. The contents from the old desk drawers filled three rubbish sacks! 28 Pizza/Chinese/Indian delivery menus. Packs of batteries, long-since dead. Cables, the mandatory Swiss Army knife, umpteen scissors. And it's all got be thrown away or put back in the new desk somehow. Thanks, iGary, for reminding me of something I've been putting off and now I have a big headache!!!!! :)

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I bought a sealed cupboard specifically for this purpose, to hide it all. Its above me and to the left as I sit. :) Full of cases, tapes, glasses, bits of speaker, camera.. :p screws.. lots of random stuff. :)

13. Lau Guest

I have at least one in every room, I think!

Reminds me of when we were visiting my granny (mum's mum) a good few years ago, and she said to my dad "Can you put that in the junk room?". My dad looked genuinely bewildered and said "Which one's that?". My granny was less amused. :p

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

• kitchen drawer
    • floor of my office
    • box in my office
    • night stand
    • top shelf of hall closet

Good to see iGary back in the mode of random Community Discussion threads. Interesting threads, but random as well.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

ha, my basement. 1300 square feet of pure junk.

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Mostly each drawer of my desk, a box or two and part of the floor around the computer desk.

My roommates junk drawer is all over their room and any free space anywhere else.

Interesting thing is I did not get much sleep last night (but I'm still pretty wide awake this morning w/o caffeine) as my roommate was still wake on his computer working on god knows what until 4 or 5am. Finally he goes to bed but leaves his light on :mad: So, I climb out of bed and shut the thing off. It doesn't ultimately bug me that much as I probably should have pulling an all night/morning routine for class.

I need to get curtains or some such and cover my side off from his.

17. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

In my closet there's a big box, actually now that I think about it, my whole closet is junk. I got everything in there, magazines, toys, bunch of crap.

18. vniow macrumors G4

I have a dresser with one drawer dedicated to old computer parts that I know not why I keep and a decent sized file cabinet with most of the drawers dedicated to useful stuff but some of it is crap that I really need to throw away sometime.

My room is relatively clean and organised but its just those damn things that get in the way...

Well, that and about 20 candles spread throughout it. :eek:

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The keyboard shelf under my desk is where the majority of my junk goes – I daren't venture in there out of fear of what I might find... :eek:

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just down the hall from the guest bedroom and guest bathroom.
    My wife keeps calling it my "office".

Whatever. So what if I'm a slob? :rolleyes:

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Anywhere I come into contact with apparently.

:( :eek: It seems that no matter where I go, a trail of my possessions is sure to follow. My room is crazy, as are my dressers/ closet/ organizer thingies... my clutter spreads throughout the kitchen, living room, my sister's room, bathroom, and even when I visit people they complain that it looks like my stuff has exploded everywhere. :eek:

22. wingsky macrumors member

Seconded. I have no where at the moment in my room as i'm in the middle of redecorating. Needless to say I've come to a bit of a halt for the past 2 weeks so, the junk can decorate my floor for a bit until i tidy it up and finish off the wallpapering :p

23. CompUser Guest

People always talk about junk drawers, yet we don't have one in my house.

There is one drawer, but it doesn't really have "junk" in it. Its pens, pencils, keys to the house doors & security system, screw driver, pliers, scissors, and paperclips. I don't really think we have a "junk drawer". My mom constantly cleans the house, so there never is "junk", if it is "junk" she throws it away.

It always annoyed me also how teachers always told us to hang things on our refrigerator. But the house I grew up in elementary school had a wood front to blend in, so it was not magnetic.

All of the paperwork is neatly organized in filing cabinets in the office or in the basement. However, a bunch of paperwork of my moms- emails etc are scattered everywhere in the office.

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

In my closet, in my dresser, has a wide assortment of junk in it too :).

e