Whew! That was close!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Looks like Minneapolis got the GOP convention in 2008.

I live south of Cleveland, and Cleveland went all out trying to get that thing. Why (aside from the money) I don't know. I wasn't exactly keen on the idea of (a) that bunch of slimeballs bringing their dog-and-pony show to my neck of the woods in the first place, and (b) the protests (and potential riots) that would likely ensue.

But all Cleveland could see was $ signs. And they (like the rest of Ohio) have got to realize that they can't fix the state's poverty and resident exodus with patchwork solutions like political conventions and gambling. The three-letter word we need most around here isn't GOP, it's J-O-B.

So goodbye and good riddance to that gothic carnival. And my condolences to Minneapolis and St. Paul.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

twin city is also on the list of the finalists of Dem's convention in 08.
    now I guess Dems will move to Denver or NYC

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Is this that thing where a bunch of people gather together inside to wave banners, yell and listen to old blokes give rousing speeches biased to their view of politics?

Because I've seen that before....

[​IMG]

Cue hate mail.......now
    ;) :D

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's hope they choose Denver. The mountain west is good place for Democrats these days.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

News articles have as much said so. The twin cities can't host two conventions so close to each other; it's impossible.

Well, New Yawk wouldn't be a bad location either. If the Dems can make a strong statement about security and terrorism, where better to do it?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well the idea is to use the convention to boost your votes. New York is already reliably Democratic. Colorado is not. Plus, as I mentioned, the Mountain West is a place Democrats can make large gains in '08. That region should get it's share of love from the Democrats if they want to see an increase in votes from those areas.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I agree, i was very disappointed when Dallas dropped out earlier this year.