Which 13" 2011 MBA to get..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by joyrolo, Jul 21, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    I'm debating on i5 /i7 13" MBA

It will be my main laptop and I want to also get windows on it.

So also debating between parallels/fusion

any suggestions?
  2. Moderator emeritus

Dec 10, 2008
    If it will be your main, then the high-end with 256GB SSD will probably be worth it, especially if you run Windows as well.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    should i get the i7 processor? or the i5 will do? i might run some games on it..but not anything like WoW or COD
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 28, 2011
    Honestly anything you do the i5 handles just fine. You get a small bump in performance but I think the main reason people buy it is ego / image/ i7!!! thought process based.
  5. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    Yes, that went into my thought process. :eek:

A Core 2 Duo has been "good enough" for me since February 2008, and before then I used a Pentium M Dell notebook for more than 5 years (though I did bump it up from 1.3GHz to 1.7GHz). So there's really nothing I need from a Core i7 that a Core i5 can't handle. That said, it's nice to have the top of the line. I want this one to last for 3 years.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    yeah i was thinking i7 because it is better..i honestly have no idea what the difference is..not a very computer person haha..

any suggestions between parallel and fusion? leaning towards parallel based on other threads
  7. macrumors newbie

May 25, 2010
    I'm getting the base model. I'd like the extra storage with the 256GB, but for $300 it isn't worth it. If I'm running out of room in the future, I'll buy an OWC replacement when the prices have come down. As for the i7, I really don't think it's worth it. You'd be hard pressed to notice a difference.
  8. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    I have used both and prefer Parallels because I get better performance from it. I think there's a Bundle right now that includes Parallels and a bunch of other software for $49.

Update: It's actually a "Mac Super Bundle" from Nova Development, which is a distributor of Parallels. It includes Parallels, Money, and some other software, and runs for another 5 days.
  9. macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2010
    I bought i7 based upon the geekbench. However I'm thinking I should of got the i5 instead. I'd prefer less fan noise and thinking I probably won't see a much difference in web usage and editing photos in iphoto or aperture. I'll be doing some photoshop, but just touching up photos. No 3D work. I might exchange this for the i5 if noise becomes an issue.
  10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    thanks so much for the info :)

yeah..i think im pretty much leaning towards the i5 processor now haha.