Which 160 Gig SATA Internal Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mowogg, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

I want to add a 160 Gig internal drive as a second drive in the G5. OWC has Hitachi/IBM, Maxtor and Western Digital drives and they are all within $7 of each other.
    Does anyone have a brand recommendation? I'm looking for a quiet, reliable drive for PVR recording.

TIA,
    Rob

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

3. Zeke macrumors 6502

I love my IBM/hitachi, the stupid Maxtor in the computer is so loud that it really doesn't matter which hard drive you get but this one is very quiet.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I have 2 250GB Maxtors in my G5 PM. I don't find them noisy at all.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Seagates have the best Warranty (5yr.), are the quietest, and are equally as fast as other drives. But they tend to be slightly more expensive....but are still worth it.

6. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

The Seagate is more expensive. I thought they were about the same cost, but I was comparing the 120 Gig Seagate. It's $119 at OWC. The 200 Gig is only $137. That's not bad.

Thanks for the input. It looks like it'll be a Seagate!

7. Reuven macrumors member

Reuven

Seagate has launched a new SATA HDD version 7200.2 I think its is, I just got one 160GB as well runs fantasic :D I would go with a Seagate they also give you 3 years warrenty on it as well :D

8. Eastend macrumors 6502

Rob go to http://www.barefeats.com/ and look around it, but somebody else already mentioned Maxtor, I think barefeats com is partial to them. Anyway look through their speed test and all around the site for information, Good Luck.

Brian

9. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

I'll check them out.

Thanks Brian!

10. Eastend macrumors 6502

You are Welcome. By the way my G5 in the System Profiler says it is a Maxtor 250 GB and it runs just fine.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Ditto - I have an 80GB and a 120GB in my MDD G4 and I rarely hear them.

12. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I always recommend against Maxtor, in my experience they fail more than any other brand of hard drive.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have 2 250 Ghz Maxtors. I would have got the Segate but they didn't have 250's in stock. It's quiet compared to my 6800 GT graphics card so I don't know if the drives are loud or not.

I can log into my Powermac remotely from my Powerbook in the next room so it doesn't matter to me. And when I game on my G5, I crank the volume of my soundsticks.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I second this. I always buy Seagate, which seem to be the cheapest here in NZ, despite somebody above saying that they're more expensive. Different markets with different prices, I guess.

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

160GB? Pah! Thats girly size!

Go for as big as you can get, you will fill it. ;)

16. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Samsung

Samsung's SpinPoint series SATA drives (80GB, 120GB and 160GB) are very nice. I have one in my G4 PowerMac (using a SeriTek SATA card) and am quite happy. I use it when capturing DV in iMovie and converting to DVD in iDVD, plus for general storage space.

They're also pretty inexpensive. NewEgg.com sells the 160GB model for about US$95 (that price actually went UP from a week ago when it was $93.50).

17. iPlm macrumors regular

I have a 200gigs Seagate and it's great. As I saw in some benchmarks, Seagate is a little bit slower than some Western Digital's (not counting the Raptor), but I'm telling you, you won't have any problems with Seagate hard drives ;)