Which 1TB HD in new Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by amoergosum, Apr 18, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Is this the 1TB hard drive which can be found in the new Mac Pros? >>>
    Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1000GB (3,5'' / SATA II / 7200rpm / 32MB / bulk)

2. macrumors G3

think so.

3. macrumors regular

Actually, you could get a Caviar Blue or a Caviar Black from what I've been seeing... I wonder if there's a way to ask for a Caviar Black...

4. macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Caviar Blue does not come in 1TB size... it's a toss up on the smaller drives only.

5. macrumors 65816

zer0tails

depends what your intended purposes are really. If you want energy savings get the WD caviar green drives.

6. macrumors 65816

Apple OEMs from several manufacturers… what one person gets is not necessarily what another gets in terms of drives.

7. macrumors 65816

Yeah, those 4 whole watts of savings…

8. macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ooooh!! Imagine what you can do with that!
    Over the course of a year, of course.

9. macrumors 65816

Even if you ran it 24/7/365, that's only ~35 kilowatt-hours per drive. At my electricity rates, that's… $5.95/AU per year.

10. macrumors 65816

zer0tails

well you're in Australia. It makes a difference to us other folks on the other side of the world. Besides, $$ savings is one thing but the other is using less energy and being more environmentally friendly. Its a chain my friend..

11. macrumors 65816

Meh. To each their own… I just don't give a damn. I'm not going to pour dioxin in a river, but I'm not going to use slow hard drives in the name of environmental friendliness either.

12. macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

+1

I used a WD 640GB from MSY for my Pro...although, i haven't put it under any stress...yet...

13. macrumors regular

Right - for a NAS I would go for the Caviar Green, but using it for daily used data take the Caviar Black (or WD RE3 in RAID) due to access´ speed, cause the Caviar Green is one of the slower/slowest 1TB drives at all.

14. macrumors 68030

...between the green, blue and black series, do they have different rotational speeds?

15. macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yes, they do.

And not as a suggestion but did you know that the Green 1TB drive is faster than the 500GB drives from just a few years ago? And faster then any common grade HDD in the 300GB range. So if you think of it like that, it's an upgrade with less power consumption at the same time. The 2TB green drive is faster than most of the 1TB drives too! Including the 1TB Black! Something to think about I guess. :)

EDIT: As a note on topic Apple says they don't guarantee any specific drive model or maker so it's 100% pot luck and you'll get whatever Apple is getting cheapest at the time.

16. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your replies guys!
    One more question >>>
    Is it ok to use only a second hd as a scratch disc (in regards to FCP) or would you say it's much better to use a second AND a third hd which are set to RAID0?

17. macrumors 601

Tesselator

18. thread starter macrumors 6502

What does that mean in real time...how much faster ist it?

19. macrumors 68000

20. macrumors 601

Tesselator

At some things (with my 3-drive RAID 0) it's three times as fast, at other things it's only slightly faster, and some operations aren't affected at all.

21. thread starter macrumors 6502

So you have your boot drive and three additional hard drives set to RAID0?
    Is that correct (sorry....I'm new to the whole RAID thing)?

22. macrumors newbie

I am surprised but it is true I have WD6400AAKS - WD Caviar SE16

23. macrumors 601

Tesselator

Actually right now I personally have the boot, applications, fast project i/o, and scratch all set to use the same 3-drive RAID 0 and I'm using the other 1TB drive for slow storage of like iTunes and E-Books and stuff. I set it up this way a few months ago as an experiment to see if there were actually any performance hits like everyone says. So far there aren't any differences at all other than that the boot is faster and app loading and searching is quicker. So I'm kinda thinking at least for my usage style, that such are wives tales. :)

But what I was saying above is like you said. This is how I had it for over a year (prior to my little experiment) and meets with most people's approval as discussed in these kinds of forums.

24. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I just bought one for $130.00 . Like RAM, it's much cheaper to buy it and install it yourself.

25. macrumors member

I also just got a cavier black 1tb. Great drive, much faster than my 320gb seagate from a few years ago.