Which 22" CRT for video editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jrv3034, Sep 22, 2003.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Hello, all. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with either of these monitors for video editing, and for Photoshop work:

LaCie ElectronBlue IV 22" CRT
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10037

or

Mitsubishi Diamond Pro DP2070SB-BK 22" CRT
    http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/mitsubishi_index.cfm

They're both about the same price, and have the same monitor specs. LaCie comes with a hood for removing reflections, and Mitsubishi comes with 4 (downstream) USB ports, while LaCie has only 3. Also, the LaCie weighs 60lbs, vs 65lbs for the Mitsubishi.

I realize that this is splitting hairs between these two monitors, but I'm trying to decide which would suit my needs better, and any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks!

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

If I were you I would get two smaller CRTs or a less expensive 22" and save the money and invest in a good NTSC monitor. Color correction on a cmputer monitor doesn't help much, you need to look at the outcome on a nice NTSC monitor. But if you are doing editing for web, or don't care to much about color correction or already have a nice NTSC monitor, then I would go with the Mitsubishi.

3. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I already have an NTSC monitor, and will definitely rely on it for color correcting the video work. As for the CRT monitor, I just want the best I can get for around $750. These two seem to have the best specs in that price range, but if there are other brands that you'd recommend, please let me know!

4. primalman macrumors 6502a

Go for either of two things:

1.whichever is cheaper.

2. Do you think that the beige framing or blue framing would be better for you?

These are exactly the same monitor, Mits made them both, with some casing differences for the LaCie, and the USB difference, which is my view is minimal. If you are doing video, I don't see you using umpteen USB things, either more FW or a server.

I have had both, same picture, same rez, same color fidelity, but I really like the blue framing of the LaCie myself. The hood was a waste, I used it for a week then put it in the closet, a little annoying.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Well, if you want to know what I use

http://www.bzboyz.com/store/product2647.html

I have two of them and love em. (got them over a year ago when they cost $700) Of course, I would love to trade them out for 2 20" apple cinema displays. Really Mitsubishi makes a great monitor, you will be happy with the Mitsubishi

6. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I aso seem to think that the hood might be a bit of a waste, which leads me to lean towards the mitsubishi for a couple of reasons: It's a little bit cheaper, and has the extra USB port (more is always better). Plus, this Mitsubishi model has a black casing, not beige, which makes it look about as cool as the LaCie.

Thanks for the replies!:)