which 23" wide display for my G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Mar 16, 2007.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Apart the 23" wide ACD, what other display with the same dimensions and specs can best cooperate/work with the PowerMac G5 (1.8dual) and also recommended for best color representation on screen? EISOs are out of the question due to pricing!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you don't want the ACD Dell monitors aren't too bad from what I've heard, and they are cheaper.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Dell 2407WFP + Spider Calibrator

I would recommend the Dell 2407WFP for $629 (an all time new low price on sale now) and a ColorVision Spyder2 Calibrator if you need to make sure the color is exactly the way you want it.

The Dell 2407WFP also rotates. What's your graphics card in SPECIFICALLY what G5 model? If it's ATI you have rotation support. If it's nVidea you may or may not have rotation support with 10.4.9. I see it's nVidea FX 5200 Ultra. Probably not. Oh well. There may be an ATI PCI-X video card you could add.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok thanx for the info guys but im curious, is the ACD better as far as quality is concerned from the rest 23" (execept EISO) wide displays around?
    U can be as extensive as u want in your justification! thanx

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Love Dells

Some people think so. I don't. I like Dells. I have 4 different Dells and I love them all.

6. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I Think So

I have a Dell and ACD -- I do graphic arts and book publishing 10 hours a day.

I think the ACD has a slight color edge and a more predictable Color LUT.

Don't have time to recreate specifics in this thread here -- but in this "Peripherals" forum search out the thread "Why buy an ACD?" for the details.

Dante

7. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Good recommendation

Very Good Recommendation.

I would add this:

If you are a graphic artist, to whom a colorsync color matching system is important, then the ACD provides a complete out-of-the-box solution that integrates with ICC profiles from scanners, operating systems, desktop and wide format printers, Offset and Web Presses, other monitors and cameras.

However, one can do quite well by buying a more-affordable non-apple monitor with a calibrator -- this former solution can actually be more useful to this said designer. However, it is important to:

1) Buy a calibrator with software that can generate "portable" ICC profiles -- this is important so that one can "Share" the profiles with clients as they send files with this profile embedded.

2) Learn how to use the above software.

3) Buy a monitor with an S-IPS panel as the color tables are more stable and suited to desktop publishing as opposed to video or games.

If one does not wish to have the trouble of the above, or to spend the money on the calibrator (often offset by lower monitor cost however), then the ACD's are a great choice for DTP work.
    My 2 cents,

Dante

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would go with the dell. It's 24" yes, but what's another inch?! I also would suggest checking out the gateway. Someone said they're very nice and to me they do look slick.