1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Which 2TB hard drives are inside the 27" iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macjb, Mar 14, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm getting a new iMac 27" (1TB) this week and was wondering, which 2TB hard drives Apple installs.

I have read that they use WD and Seagate, but which models exactly? (caviar green or black) If you could post the infos of your iMac that would be great.

Also, I want to upgrade to a 2TB drive. I know, I have to stick with the brand that comes with my iMac, because of power issues. However, I have also read that Apple uses a special OEM drive and an upgrade won't work (heat problems remain, a special firmware is necessary) Is that true?

Which 2TB hard drive would you recommend? (in terms of speed and noise)

2. macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My i7 has a Hitachi 2T drive. I think that is the only 2T drive used in the 27 " iMac.

It is very quiet and seems to run smoothly, I have no problems with it.

3. macrumors 6502

Hitachi aren't good :( I'm starting to see apple use more cheap parts but still charge exorbant amounts for them :(

4. macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'd take Hitachi drives over WD any day. I have two of them (both 2 TB) and they work just fine.

5. macrumors 68000

4JNA

fools bet, the house always wins.

hard drives, politics, religion... taboo subject in a public forum.

never ask, never tell... pick what you like based on what you believe. really.

they are all good, they are all bad. they ALL die. have a backup plan.

ps. i like samsung...

6. macrumors 6502

LMAO, that made me LOL IRL :D

7. macrumors regular

I have always liked seagate drives... maybe it has to do with my luck??? I have put seagate drives in all my stuff, ps3, the windows machine i built, and replaced the drive in my macbook pro... done that for years and never have had a crash

Sadly I don't think I will be getting a seagate in my new imac 27 when i get it... dont want to void the warranty... :(

8. macrumors 68020

peskaa

Hitachi in all my 27" iMacs that I went through.

Seagate are used for the 1TB drives, and they click.

9. macrumors regular

really i thought they were western digital??? hmm well thats weird that they click are they the barracuda?

So is the extra $250 worth the upgrade... just annoying that I cant upgrade myself, but you guys think I should spend the 250? I mean you can get a 2 TB external for that much giving you 3 TB total... except if it clicks bad... maybe worth the upgrade eh?

10. macrumors newbie

Ok, so I assume there are only Hitachi 2TBs in the iMacs, or can anyone confirm something else?

Did somebody try to upgrade from a 1TB WD or Seagate to a 2TB Hitachi and had the heat problems?