Which 30" to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bearbo, Mar 22, 2007.

1. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Dell 30" HC, $1700
    Dell 30" Non-HC, $1049
    ACD 30"... we all know about this, dont we., 1599 for refurb
    HP30" $1699

i do some digital still photo editing, not much, but some... and i enjoy big display :)

i like how the HP one can have 3 DVI input, while the other ones can only take one... i can't careless about the 9 in 2 media port that Dell is offering

so which one would you get?

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I went to Dell's site and I don't see a big difference between the HC and Non HC except for the contrast ratio and brightness.
    IMHO, I would go with the less expensive Dell (non HC) just for the price alone.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I typically really like Dell displays, but I would be inclined to go with the HP because of the 3 DVI inputs. That said, I don't know anything about their panel quality, and it is physically the ugliest of the three.

4. munckee macrumors 65816

Either Computer Arts or Advanced Photoshop just did a head to head review of the Dell, Apple, Samsung, and HP 30's. The HP came out on top, and I think they rated the Dell over the Apple. You might stop by a bookstore and give that article a read before purchasing.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If price is an issue, the cheapest one is still an awesome display so you should go with it.

6. NYCAVS macrumors member

7. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

What about the Sharp 32GP1U?

8. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

interesting...

i was also concerned with the look of the HP.. also the feature set seems appealing... both apple and dell look good enough, and apple is just straight out expensive in this case:eek:

has anybody used the HP?

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Um...you know that's a television, not a monitor, right?

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Definately Apple. Its about the same price, has superior quality, looks awesome.

Anyway, what do you need 3 DVIs for?!

11. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I just picked up a second 30in ACD - and whole hard-idly recommend one from Apple.

If you want to save some money call 1-800-my-apple and inform them of the savings at CompUSA if you have one near you that is closing down.

I called and informed them of the 20% off savings available and they were able to match the price.

$1999 New 30in ACD
    -20%

12. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

But it's not the same price and it doesn't have the superior quality :confused:

it does look awesome thou.

i need 3 DVI so i can have .... 3 computer plugged in at the same time and can switch between them easily?

13. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

that definitely sounds interesting... did they give you any trouble before price matching? i wonder if that's a common practice for apple, that is if i call them i can get the same deal... do i have to show some kind of proof? because on compusa's website the price still shows 1999

14. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

But do you wanna pay for the two additional Dual Link DVI video cards (assuming you have at least one in a Mac) needed to push that monitor,

15. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

even if i have a computer withotu dual link dvi, the cost of the card is gonna be significantly cheaper than, say, another display

plus, i'm planning to run it with my MBP (which does have a dual link dvi), and in a few months, a MP (which does have a dual link DVI), and perhaps in the future a custom PC box (which i'll make sure to have dual link dvi)