Which 3rd party Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DEXTERITY, Oct 11, 2004.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if someone can please help me. Originally I was going to use my education discount to purchase the 17" Apple flat screen monitor, but it is no longer available on Apple's site. Can someone please guide me in the right direction of any other good/reliable monitors? a 17" or 19" is good enough for me and I will be using it for graphics and music applications. I was looking at a few sony monitors and nec ones, but aren't really sure what to get.

J and R music world has quite a few which specify they work on both mac and pc, while most other places I look don't specify that. Yet, the other monitors may still work and I am just ignorant to that fact.

I know the 17" apple display has a 350:1 ratio, displays up to 16.7 million colors and is 1280 X 1024. The Sony and NEC monitors are at least 400:1 or 700:1 ratios and are also up to 1280 X 1024, but I am not sure if I am missing a spec which may make a difference.. thanks in advance.

oh yeah, I will be purchasing a dual 2.0 G5 (1gb ram) in the next few weeks, which I will use the display with.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

3. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see the Duff man is enjoying his new 2.5 computer lol.. but thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. that was very helpful. I didn't even think to look there. Usually no one has current reviews of products when I need them. thanks again.

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

samsung 172x, no doubt.

12ms response time
    .5 inch bezel
    1280x1024 resolution
    height and angle adjustable.
    etc...

amazingly beautiful, and quite nice specs. and less than the apple monitor would have been.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have been using a pair of Samsung 172T's for almost 2 years now...they are really nice screens...oh yeah!

6. JBReed macrumors newbie

Consider the Dell 2001FP. Consistently gets very high ratings in most reviews. I recently went through the *what monitor to get* issue, torturing myself for weeks investigating options until finally getting the Dell. Very pleased with my decision. It's pricey but Dell runs frequent sales (only way to go, reduces the price to the $700 range).

20.1 inch
    16ms response time
    1600 x 1200 resolution
    Contrast 400:1
    Brightness 250
    dot pitch: .255
    Extremely adjustable stand
    Multiple inputs (S-video, composite video, analog, DVI)
    USB ports
    Rotates to portrait mode (I can't use this because I'm using it in a dual monitor set up with my 15" AlBook, does the G5 support it?)
    Can run PIP
    Runs games in windowed mode 1:1

James

7. the future macrumors 6502a

Check out the Samsung 173p (17") or 193p (19"). They're gorgeous. (Not quite as gorgeous as an Apple 20" Cinema Display, though...)

8. bdomz macrumors member

check out techbargains.com and keep your eyes peeled for any sort of rebates. I think officedepot had the Samsung 172x for a great price after rebates a few weeks back. Dell also runs alot of specials like 20% off occassionally and has a pretty good selection.

9. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you very much everybody. I appreciate your responses and help. I am going to try to shop around tonight and price out the monitors you guys suggested along with the NEC in the macworld reveiw.. thanks again.

10. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I just purchased a VX 715 from ViewSonic that I'm happy with. It has a stand built in but not that much adjustability. Either way its a welcome upgrade from my old CRT.

VX 715

11. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

one last question. so any dell lcd will work with a mac? Do I need any special cable or anything? thanks

12. JBReed macrumors newbie

13. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you very much. I am about to order one now. I was just worried about the high response time. However, most of the reviews say it has no ghosting. i will be mostly using it for Music and Graphics, some gaming.

14. JBReed macrumors newbie

the 2001fp has a response time of 16ms which is quite good. Minimal to no ghosting. the other dells have a bit slower response time, check their specs. no problem at all for music, DVDs and graphics. Some high end, very fast games *might* exhibit a bit of ghosting with the slower response time screens. There's only a few displays out that have faster response times at this point ( a few at 12 ms).

15. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the feedback. I really wanted the 20", but was trying to save a few bucks, because I still have to get the new pro tools digi 002 and a new G5. Hopefully the 17inch does me well and I can control the colors at least. now to find a wireless router. my next topic. .