which 3TB harddrive model is inside 27" iMac late 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by paddy-black, Feb 1, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

i'm just wondering which kind of 3TB harddrive is inside the 27" late 2012 iMac? please model:

2. macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Are you asking about the model that has the Fusion and 3 TB Hard Drive or just the plain 3TB Hard Drive with no Fusion Drive? Not that it would matter most likely they are the same Drive. I hope it is WD and not Seagate. I have had bad luck with Seagate.

3. macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Apple doesn't use a single model for all of the machines they build. Currently iMacs all seem to be shipping with Seagate or WD drives, so the one you buy will have either of those.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

just the plain 3TB drive! serious, they build in both? seagate and wd?

5. macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Yes, they source either one and put it in, just like every other computer maker does.

6. macrumors 6502a

My 2008 iMac actually used a 320GB Hitachi Deskstar as the OEM HDD.

7. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Very simple to find out, in System Information look in the specs and it will tell you the drive manufacturer. The easiest method I know of open System Information is open Spotlight and type System Information and the app will open.

8. macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I believe it's been awhile since they've used Hitachi drives.

9. macrumors newbie

The HDD in my late 2012 27" iMac is a 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001.

10. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm IT for various companies and WD drives are the least reliable. Personally, my oldest Seagate drive which is over 5 years old still works wonderfully. I also notice that Seagate drives are usually more expensive than WD and it shows.

11. macrumors 6502

I thought the high end 27 has the SG and the lower end has the WD

12. macrumors member

The only possible way with current technology to make the whole computer 5 mm thin, would be with water cooling, eliminate HDD's, and spread out the components over the whole area and even then it would probably end up being thicker than 5 mm, and be prepared for a very high price on such a computer especially from apple.

13. macrumors 68000

ALL the 3TB 2012 iMacs use the seagate. The 1TB drives are split between the Seagate and WD drives.

14. macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if another reason to use fusion is to extend the potential life and/or provide less wear-and-tear on traditional spinning disks in a computer system - that's something Apple or any other company would tell you though...

I understand the obvious reasons for going to fusion, I personally would like an all SSD system, but that will have to wait until my next purchase 4-5 years from now when 1TB SSDs will be reasonably priced.

15. macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

yeah this may be true, my March 2009 iMac 3.06 Ghz had a Black WD Drive in it. I removed it and put in a 2TB Hard Drive to tide me over until I get another iMac. Now I am ready for my iMac if they ever ship it.