Which 5G colour shows the most scratches? Which has the best contrast ratio?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by raffir, Nov 10, 2005.

1. raffir macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2005
    Does the black 5G show scratches significantly more than the white one?
    Does the theoretical higher contrast ratio with the black border during video playback outweigh any scratches? If I put it in packing tape, would that avoid scratching problems?
  2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    I would think that if you choose white it would hide the scratches better then black
  3. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2005
    Austin, TX
    definetly go with white if you're concerned about visible scratches. I also recommend an Invisible Shield, to be placed on the device immediately after opening.
  4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Black will show more scratches, but vids will look better on it....

White will show far less scratches but vids wont look as nice....

Personally i would go for the black as i think it looks better, and so long as you put something like invisible shield on you wont have a problem with scratches,

5. Battousai macrumors member

Nov 4, 2005
    Could you elaborate on how the color of the iPod impacts the video quality?
  6. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    Yes.... Please. Vids still look excellent on the iPod period. Color doesnt matter. The screens dont differ with the colors.
  7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    It doesn't impact the video quality, but videos do look better on a black ipod bcause when viewing it the darker color will make the video come out more. If you are concerned about scratches, i would get the white video.
  8. raffir thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2005
    Has anyone tried watching videos on the white iPod in a high-brightness situation? How about the black?
    Could scratches be avoided simply by wrapping it in packing tape?

Personally I think the black one looks cool, although the white one looks more like what an iPod *should* look like, and I guess all the accessories are still white. I just have a suspicion videos would look better on the black, and I think it should look cool enough as it is (it's an iPod!) But if it scratches like crazy...
    I haven't seen the scratches yet (haven't seen a real 5G yet) but I was thinking of wrapping it in packing tape as soon as it arrives, and maybe ordering some of that ScotchCal stuff if I could find a supplier in Canada. But I'd think for simple scratches, packing tape ought to be acceptible, despite having kept my old 3G in nothing but a cheap iSkin knockoff trouble-free...
  9. Battousai macrumors member

Nov 4, 2005
    I have a 60 gig white 5g iPod. I actually wanted a black one, but they were sold out at the store, so I just said "F*** it" and went with classic white.

I've watched video in bright lights, and in the dark. They both look great. The video is very sharp and clear, with bright colors. I even put some anime on it, and was able to read the subtitles without any problems (both in light and in dark).

Since I only own the white, I can't comment on how video looks on the black, but I really can't imagine the case color makes a huge difference. But thats just my opinion.

Also, after about 2-3 days of putting it in and out of the supplied case, I had the notorious hairline scratches. I tried toothpaste, but that made it worst, I tried some auto polish, and that had no effect, so I just said "F*** it" (Kind of a common theme with me; I'm a pertty laid back person) and put on the invisibleshield that I had ordered, despite the scratches.

To my great suprise, once the invisibleshield dried, you can't see the scratches. I guess the adhesive fills them in, or because there's a clear layer on top they're not as obious anymore, or somthing. Also, all the pictures I had seen of invisibleshield showed a kind of "wavy" texture on the ipod. While is does look like this, you can't feel it. It still feels very smooth and glossy. If anything, I'd say it feels better than it did before. Putting the invisibleshield on was the best decision I ever made. If I get another iPod, I'm not taking it out of the box till I get my invisibleshield. Its worth every penny I spent on it.