Which AirPort BaseStation do I want?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hob, Jan 3, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hi, as you may be aware from my postings on this board I switched over to the happy Apple way about 18 months ago. About another 18 months before switching we put in a Linksys wireless 802.11b router into the front room so we could connect the 3 pc's in the house (my dad's my brothers and my own) to the cable modem (integrated into the TV's STB) without having cables everywhere.

Needless to say, when I got my powerbook the wireless network suddenly became a lot more useful!

However, the Linksys router has been dieing a slow death for about a month now, and I've convinced my mum to fork out for a new one. I completely over-estimated the price (as always) so I'm happy to get an Apple Airport base station. Basically so my little brother can work the thing whilst I'm at uni...

But I got to thinking, all the thing really need to do is share a 2mbit cable connection with one pc an iBook and my PowerBook.

So would an AirPort Express suffice? It sounds pretty perfect but I don't know what you guys think reliability-wise. I'd basically be relying on it 24/7... Hmmm...

Thoughts?

Hob

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The things Airport Extreme does, that Airport Express doesn't:

1. Allows more than 10 clients
    2. Allows computers to be hardwired to the Airport base station
    3. Includes a built-in 56k modem

3. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

The airport express will do if range isn't the most important issue .. what about concrete walls and such .. but remember that Apple's offerings are over $120 whilst 3rd party products are available for about $30 ..

4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Yeah, but I've pretty much got my heart set on an Apple!! I think the extreme's features are unsuitable for my home needs, and I think I'll get away with the express...

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have an airport express with my pb. Its great, set up is a snap, (Just rememeber your password) it works all over my house (i live in an avg. size house.... its fast and the wireless audio with itunes is great, i hooked it up to my computer speakers and sit accross the room and go on MacRumors and control my music from my bed.... ;)

6. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

The express is indeed a very nice product .. I just wish they would set the price at $99 .. that would make it a whole lot more attractive ..

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Yeah, the Express probably would do it for most anyone unless they really needed that wired LAN port or the modem. Especially since Apple put the USB printer port on it.

BTW I've yet to see an 802.11g wireless access point with a built-in printer port go for anywhere close to shouting distance of $30. :D

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Get the Express
    I have it set up in my house for the G3 iMac, G5 iMac and the two ibooks and it is great. If you are a student it is $99 CAN or less depending on your school. I have had mine for three months now and no problems except the setup taking three hours :)
    I have it on 24/7 and always downloading something.

9. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have 3 expresses, 1 dedicated to the stero using the optical cord, 2nd in the childrens bonus room to extend the range and has a central printer connected in the usb port, and the 3rd is in the pantry hooked to the cable modem. Runs like a dream, rock steady, no problems since installation!

As noted it would be nice if they would drop the price a bit though.

I could not be happier, I am not a pro IT type, nor do I want to be.

It would be nice if you can locate it near a stero as well as use it for a common printer.

Enjoy!

11. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

go with the express. it will do everything you need. it is very simple to use, especially with a mac, though it will work fine with other PCs. the range should be fine on it, i had a better range with the express than with a d-link router and range extender (though i think the range extender was screwed up)