which applications do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cindy, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

I have a laptop that doesn't have much on it. I'm awaiting for my extra memory to get here and when I get that installed I'd like to download some stuff. For one thing, I'd like to download Appleworks.
    What else do I really need? Maybe stuffit?? What do I do on my computer... not much - emails, and internet research. Nothing fancy.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....Appleworks is *not* free to download - if it was not included with your computer (it is with Apple's "consumer" models like the iBook amd iMac) and you want it you should buy it.....oh yeah!

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

After Diatribe's excellent guide :D, if you're still desperate for more there are two more threads to look at especially the free ones

5. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Ijust found that out. All I can find is updates and places to purchase appleworks :mad:
    that sucks. So... I have a few things that are on my eMac that have been done in appleworks wp.
    The reason I wanted appleworks on my Lombard is so those files can be transfered over and so the Lombard can read them.
    What are my options besides buying appleworks? Can I burn a cd off the eMac and copy it onto the Lombard OR is there another WP that I can download that is free that can read my appleworks files?
    thanks...

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm assuming you don't have Appleworks on the eMac?
    If you do, can you save them as RTF?
    If you can save them as RTF, then most any WP will read them.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Can't OpenOffice read Appleworks files? it's worth having anyway. You'll need X11 for it to work (need 10.3 or later on the Lombard)

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't know if it can or not, but try NeoOffice instead. It's a port of OpenOffice for the Mac. It runs much more natively.

9. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

I do have appleworks on my eMac -- that's where all my info is that I need to transfer over onto the Lombard laptop (which doesn't have appleworks.).
    I just saved one document under RTF (I'll see if that doesn't work under another WP). I have another document that wouldn't save under RTF -- there was no subcatagory for it. So, I saved it under ASCll Text (whatever that is.)

Edited portion: Ok, that worked. I just saved them in RTF and Lombard read those just perfectly. The other one: the ASCll Text worked too.
    I'm in the process of shutting down my eMac and taking what I need off it to have access to the stuff on the Lombard.
    eMac is sick and needs repairs. So, I probably won't have it up and going for a while.

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thank you. :)

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Glad you were able to get it resolved Cindy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I reccomend either of these programmes, they are amazing, and can definately compete along side microsoft office.

GIMP is also another must have, this requires X11 as well, but it is a great editor, close to photoshop.

SizzlingKeys is also great, you can set key combinations to play/pause/skip/volume control on iTunes when your in any programme.

::20ROGERSC::