Which ATA 133 cards are compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dsharits, Jan 31, 2005.

1. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I am going to buy an ATA 133 controller for my B&W, and I came across a Maxtor 200 GB hard drive with an ATA 133 card in the box. It says on the box, ATA 133 card for Windows, but are they just being ignorant? Aren't ATA cards prety much universal? Anyway I just wanted to check here before I pulled the trigger. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Daniel

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You'll most likely have to buy a different UltraATA/133 card for it, unless it uses a chip set that's already supported in Mac OS X.

I use an SIIG card for my Seagate drive and the Sonnet card would have also been compatible. I don't think you have to worry about the drive caring about what platform/brand card you're using as long as it fully supports the UltraATA/133 specification.

3. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Do the B&W's have the 137 GB barrier? Do I necessarily need an ATA card to use a large drive?

Daniel

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, they do and yes, you do. Anything less than an UltraATA/133 card or UltraATA/100 card with the capacity modifications have the issue.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus