Which audio system for Mac, stereo system, or computer speakers w/ subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ravenvii, Sep 3, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I've still not bought a audio system for my Mac. I want speakers that have the most power. Audio quality isn't a big issue with me. My friend has a stereo mini component system or a computer speaker system with a subwoofer?

His stereo system is this Sharp 300 watt mini component system:
    [​IMG]

(I will not necessarily get THIS particular system if I decide to go stereo, just showing you a picture so we're clear on what I'm talking about).

The computer speaker system I have my eyes on is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system:
    [​IMG]
    Or possibly the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1
    [​IMG]
    (The GMX is newer and more expensive, but I heard the original ProMedia speakers are actually better. So I listed both, and if you guys say computer speakers are better, then let me know which one to get).

Thanks for any advice!

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have GMX A 2.1s here they sound fantastic, they have a slight audio hiss if you put your ear right up to the speaker, but afaik all computer speakers do this. I also had Logitech Z-2300s these sounded like absolute crap compared to the GMXs.

3. Xenious macrumors 6502a

The traditional pro-media series (the non GMX ones) are a notch above. I bought the 2.1 setup because I didn't want to spring for an external digitial decoder to use the 5.1 system and the logitech speaker systems did not sound that great. As a bonus the klipsch 2.1 system is pretty affordable at about $140.

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

May I suggest Logitech's Z-5500D. They are a 5.1 system. They sound fantastic, and are very well balanced. They have more power then you'll probably need. I have mine set up with an optical cable and it works great.

And since you don't care about audio quality, you can crank the sub levels way up if all your after is a thumping kind of sound.

Edit:: Just noticed your sig, if you're using these on a mac mini I withdraw my suggestion.

5. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

just get some sound sticks from h/k
    they have great sound and compatibility
    i couldnt imagine any thing better

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I wish I could find Klipsch Pro-Medias here in .au, but for now I'll stick to GMX.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Shop around. Look at this

If you plan to spend a lot on some speakers, you might as well add 5.1 surround sound, 167 watts/channel and a 167 watt Sub and a 5 disc DVD player :p ($350)

Hell, if I had the money right now, I'd buy it.

8. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yep I'm using this on my Mac mini, and I only want a 2.1 system, I live in a dorm, so a surround system isn't an option.

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ok I decided on a stereo system. Thanks guys.

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Which system and how much? :D

11. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I guess I'm too late... but anyways. If you want good natural neutral sound get some studio nearfield monitors. The quality price ration is much better than with normal stereo speaker. The Fostex PM 0.5 or the some ESI cost about $250, and give you a much clearer, crisper and balanced sound picture.

Treat your ears trust me its worth it, you will never go back to normal stereo speakers.

Stereo speakers tend to be exreamly heavy in the low regions, crash in the highs, and bleed in mids. You never really get good natural sound. When most people go to a store they want to listen to lound music with a heavy bass. So they decided to get speakers that are the biggest and loundest and deepest ones they can afford.

Those Fostex that I mentioned only have 35Watts per channel (high and low per speaker = 75Watts) the bass is only about 5inches but trust me they are loud and deep enough. And if they not you can get them with a sub as well.

Anyways, I could go on for ever... check out some studio nearfield monitors (active ones are better), and find out why Mp3 really is different from aiff. Plus you'll might even want to get a better digi/ana converter... even the one in the G5 isn't that great.

Have fun