Which Backpack do you all suggest??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DesignIt, Aug 19, 2005.

1. DesignIt macrumors member

I have it narrowed down to these 3 packs:

1. Brenthaven 15/17
    - http://www.brenthaven.com/store/flash/flash.html

2. Tumi T-Tech Bethune Laptop Backpack
    - http://www.tumi.com/backpacks_messe...kpack/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=12942#

3. Tumi T-Tech Chambers Deluxe Computer Backpack
    - http://www.tumi.com/backpacks_messe...ckpack/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=12927

I want something that can take a drop or fall and protect a 15" powerbook sufficiently. These 3 all have a sling like sleeve that holds the laptop and apparantely absorbs the shock.

Thanks!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-man says....have you read the sticky thread at the top of this forum? - I thought it covered just about every bag/sleeve/backpack out there and has enough comments in it to help anyone make up their mind.....oh yeah!

3. DesignIt thread starter macrumors member

Edit:
    Actually, I did review the manufacturer list, but I just wanted to get opinions on these 3. I didn't see any comments anywhere there regarding these.
    Thanks.

4. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I used to carry my PB in a TUMI wall small messenger bag which I stopped using because it was just as pluasible to have the bag stolen as my powerbook, now i use a booq (less profile= less likely to be stolen).

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Maybe those bags are good but i dont really like the look of any of them, if i were you i'd go for one of the crumpler backpacks or messenger bags they are much nicer....

ShadOW

6. DesignIt thread starter macrumors member

I have decided that there are just too many choices!! =) I can't decide what to get, for the love of GOD!!!! :D

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My wife has the brenthaven, and it certainly provides a lot of security. Just the sleeve on its own is incredibly well padded. On my recent trip, we took her PB 15, and just used the sleeve in my regular backpack (we needed the regular backpack for day hikes, etc). The brenthaven is rather bulky, but if you need a large backpack that also protects your PB, it might be the right choice.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have the brenthaven, its a great bag, looks professional, the sleeve is removable so that if you don't carry your 'book around you can take it out and use the space or if you just want to carry your 'book you can just use the sleave...Has enough room for all your stuff.....

9. aznsal612 macrumors member

I was always fond of the classic North Face backpacks. They all pretty much come with sleeves inside to put a laptop in. I use that with a neoprene sleeve and everything is fine and dandy.

10. Bear macrumors G3

Another bag maker to check is Tom Bihn - their bags are made in the US and Canada and are very durable.

I have their Brain Bag which you have to add a laptop sleeve to. In my case, I have the Brain Cell. Also their Snake Charmer is good for holding the assorted cables, power adapter, mouse and CF Reader.

My bag is over 4 years old and still looks pretty much like it's brand new and it has been to many many places with me.

They have laptop bags/backpacks of many sizes - there is probably one to fit your need.

11. ph0rk macrumors 6502

The brenthaven removable sleeve is nice, but I'd recommend you get that (or a tom bihn brain cell) and put that in a non-laptop bag.

I use a seattle messenger, the brenthaven hard sleeve gives the bag just a bit of structure (which helps with all the 6x9" books i have to lug around; try keeping that organized in a regular messenger!). Most important, it just look like an overstuffed bag rather than a latop bag, which makes you less of a target.

12. londy macrumors member

did you try a search for those bags? while they may not have been mentioned in that thread in particular, it is likely they were mentioned elsewhere--in case you don't get many results here.

also, googling serves me very well for reviews.

hope this helps :)

13. DesignIt thread starter macrumors member

Well economy got the better of me. I went ahead and ordered this pack:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=34-998-622&depa=0

Looks to be high quality and a great price. I'm really not too concerned with looks. Just want something to protect my powerbook and carry some other odds and ends. I will let you all know how it turns out, maybe post some pics when I get it.

14. DesignIt thread starter macrumors member

If you only knew me, you would know I was the google master. :cool:

How else would I have gotten a 15" powerbook for $1k. :D

15. paperinacup macrumors 6502

This doesn't seem like a popular choice but I'll be purchasing the DC Incase Backpack.

16. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Google master? Or Froogle master? :cool:

I want a froogle in AUS... I don't think there is one yet. So I just type in the prices I want to pay into google AU :D

17. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have a Gravis bag, and I freakin' love the thing. I never seen anyone else with one. Here is the Website Check it out!!!!
    Edit: Too little too late.

18. londy macrumors member

HEAR YE...

well, i was being modest. i see now that i must unveil myself as the grand mistress of all googlologistical :cool:

*teehee*

eta: glad you found a kewl bag.

19. DSign macrumors newbie

DSign

Go out and Buy a Crumpler! Its has been designed for designers and its very safe
    This is for tha real Powabook lova!:rolleyes:

The zipper has been put under the carrying straps so no one can open it only if you take it of youre back. :)

And if a can of beer exlodes in your bag your PB is still safe, not wet and dead.

I´ve bought a big Crumpler bag where there is space for a DLS Camera, external HD´s and a Wacom Inuos besides my upcoming 17".

20. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit