Which blank CD-R's to buy ???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FrankAZ, Apr 17, 2004.

1. FrankAZ macrumors newbie

Greetings from Arizona,

My iMac specs lists 8x4x24x for the Mat****a CW-7121 slot load drive.

Do I need to get 8x(only) blank CD-R discs or can I get any "x" size(speed?) and simply choose 8x (or less) in iTunes preferences when I want to burn a disc ? If 8x only, can anyone suggest a supplier ? The few I've found seem rather pricey compared to high "x" discs.

Yeah, I know this is a dumb and basic question, but I can't seem to find the answer after searching 3 hours online.

Thanks in advance,

F

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

buy any cd..equal to or greater than 8x..there is no problem if u write with speed 8x on a 24x cd..but the opposite wd cause trouble

cheers

3. FrankAZ thread starter macrumors newbie

abhishekit,

Thanks for the info. It's the answer I was hoping for.
    It seems as though your Einstien quote was tailor made for me <G>.

Later,

F

"Loveliness disarms all attempts to be serious, and turns all critical machinery into a pile of whirring junk."
    LUCA TURIN

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Heh, don't beat yourself up, its a valid question. The only other thing you may want to consider is how durable you want the CD-R's to be. You can get your average CD-R's and they'll hold up fine for awhile, but if you are saving stuff you want to last for years there are archival quality CD-R's that are more expensive but far more durable. Something most people don't know.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I use Verbaitim disks, they are multi speed and can handle anywhere from 1X to 52X, they have worked great, only one coaster out of 50.

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i buy the cheapest i can find. usually that involves going to chinatown and buying brands that i've never heard of before.

7. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

I try to stay away from the really cheap one that are free with a $3 mail in rebate. I bought a 100 pack spindle a while ago and the cds i burned ended up being unreadable after 6 months.

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

ha ha :D ....no dude...

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well i always seem to have something to say about which CDs to get...

i've been using the cheapest CDs for a long time. they're just blank on both sides, no labels or anything. i haven't had any problems with them, well except for a few that have been passed around class a bit, probably got a bit of moisture on them, i think there's some mold growing on one spot on the edge. :p

but now that's i'm burning DVD for backups i'm using good qulaity DVDs like FujiFilm. mostly because with DVDs it's like having 'all your eggs in one basket' and if that DVD get wrecked it's alot worse than having a CD or 700MB get wrecked.