which Broadband supplier?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by student_trap, Oct 14, 2005.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    Hi, I just went on contract with my mobile phone, and the network are offering 2meg Wanadoo broadband for £10 per month, however it has a 2GB per month download limit (I don't download big files often so will this be OK?). My question is whether this is a good deal, and whether this would work well (without putting software on my mac) with my powerbook? I have heard that if you use some sort of network thingy, then you don't have to worry about software etc, etc. Could I use Ariport or airport express for this (because i know some windows based box would be ugly)? Basically I just want typical mac-like plug and play simplicity.

thanks in advance for any help you can give!

PS My phone line is with BT and i don't want to change that,
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    As far as UK broadband goes, this is an excellent starting point.

I'm on a capped service but it's not really a problem as each additional Gb in addition to the limit costs a paltry sum. It's rare that I exceed this anyway -- I don't use P2P at all.

Although I have a BT phone line, my ISP is something else entirely. There's no reason to use BT broadband at all -- some people here have had some problems with BT's ISP...

Can't help you on the connectivity front, I'm afraid. I'm just using the USB ADSL modem that was supplied by the ISP -- works pretty well. Want to go wireless eventually but at this rate I'll prob. have a new Mac before then.