which browers do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drater, Mar 10, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

drater

I really can't decide which brower I like best; tried safari, camino and firefox...I don't really know the difference, so I guess it doesn't mean much to me. But does anyone have any input to sway me either way. I'd appreciate the help. :D

2. macrumors 604

kretzy

I just use Safari, it does everything I need it to most of the time. If a website is playing up, I'll fire up Firefox or Camino and see if it works with either of them.

3. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I use Safari 98% of the time, but if for some odd reason it doesn't display a website properly (this has only happened to me once), then I'll use Opera. I have found Opera to be better than Firefox (e.g. Firefox won't display the apple logo (like in my sig) and Opera will).

4. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I prefer anything that Apple makes, so Safari ;)

5. macrumors 6502

Safari is tooooo slow.

Camino doesn't have a very good tabbing system - i.e. you can only see a few tab markers at any one time (unlike Firefox which allows me at least 30 on my 20" iMac).

So Firefox wins. Though I would like to be able to use icons for my Bookmarks Toolbar, as aopposed to words (like in Camino).

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ditto that. I'm a sucker for anything with a chomped bit of fruit on it. :cool:

7. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Thats something only Mac heads can relate too. Dell doesn't have fans like the Mac type ;)

8. macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Its pretty f**king fast for me :)

I use Safari, its simple as that. Its sleek, it looks great, its fast and thats good enough for me.

Firefox is damn ugly on the Mac but it is pretty fast

9. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

10. macrumors 601

eXan

Why do you think it is slow? Maybe becasue of your connection speed ;) ?

For me, Safari is the fastest browser I've ever tryed. (OmniWeb, Netscape, IE, Opera, etc)

Edit: Oh, I use Safari, if you haven't figured it out already

11. macrumors member

I believe that on your particular system that safari is slow. to bring it up to speed, delete the cookies. go into your library and delete the bookmark icons.

now you have a fast safari

12. macrumors 6502

DerChef

This will be unpopular ;)

Safari on the OSX platform by a long way. It fits nicely into the Mac way of doing things and its the only Browser that handles RSS feeds anyway well on my slow dial up connection.

Opera is pretty and feature rich but is very incompatible with a large number of sites I have gone to.

Firefox is OK but I dont see anything that special about it. Plus its based on the Netscape Gecko rendering engine which was absolute pants:(
    I have it on my machine mainly for its plugins and skins but rarely use it. On the PC platform I have found it shakey and unstable especially if you load it with plug ins

Shirra and Camino, Firefox with coats on :eek:

I will tell you this and its what I honestly believe on the PC platform Internet Explorer has the best and fastest rendering engine of any browser out there.

Havent tried Omniweb

13. macrumors G4

No browser is more standards-compliant than Safari. It is my understanding that Opera now rivals Safari in its compliance with standards. Gecko-based browsers are not quite as standards-compliant, but they are close. There are, however, a lot of websites which are coded to Internet Explorer. BTW, Shiira is based on Webkit, not Gecko. It automatically picks up your Safari bookmarks.

I have issues with Firefox, but stability is not one of them. If you are having stability problems with Firefox, the problem lies in your machine. Possibly, the problem lies between the keyboard and chair. It does not lie with Firefox.

14. macrumors 68030

joepunk

I prefer Safari. However the fastest browser that I have used is SeaMonkey.

15. macrumors 6502

DerChef

Yes quite correct sir , shirra and so it seems omniweb use the webkit layout engine.

Looking this up in Wikipedia. It lists Old ***** Internet Explorer 5 for Mac and Opera IN "OTHERS".

Soooo it would seem there are no modern Trident based web browsers for the Mac platform then ?

Unless anybody knows different

16. macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I only use Safari, and when on a PC if ever, I have to download FireFox to make it less of a pain.

17. macrumors Core

i mainly use Camino. its by far the fastest browser i have used yet. and i have tried them all i think. i can't stand FF's interface. and Opera just seems so foreign for some reason. i should possibly give Safari another go at some point though.

18. macrumors member

safari+saft rules. I keep camino for some sites that safari can't upload files.

19. macrumors regular

What he said.
    Plus Shiira occasionally.

20. macrumors 68000

Far and away is Camino. It is based on the Gecko engine, just like Firefox, but it is also Cocoa native, meaning it takes advantage of all the beauty of the Mac 's graphic interface. Tabbed browsing is fine - I usually have 2-3 windows open with about 5 tabs open in each divided by work type.

Firefox is fine, but I don't need all the customization and plug-ins that are the big advantage of using Firefox. I like the look of Camino and it gives me most of the benefits of Firefox with a Cocoa-based Mac look.

Safari has always been a slow broswer for me and hogged memory and CPU cycles. I use Vienna for my RSS feeds, so Safari has no use to me. I also do not like the brushed metal look of Safari anymore since Apple has moved further away from it and used the plastic look of the iLife apps - which Camino has as well.

21. macrumors 65816

CoMpX

So true. There are no "Dell freaks". That's what I love about Apple. People love them, they don't just use their products like any other PC manufacturer. We are fanatics.:D

22. macrumors 6502

DerChef

Doing a wee bit of research :)

This new version of Netscape 8.1 when (or if :confused: ) it ever arrives for OS X will seemingly let you flip between Trident and Gecko layout engines.

Might be just what I need, provided Netscape has been improved in many other areas.:rolleyes:

23. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Firefox. The only thing I don't like is no spell checker.:mad:

24. macrumors 6502

DerChef

Google toolbar:cool:

25. macrumors 68020

yippy

I use Safari for almost everything.

For the rare case that I find an IE only site and care enough to try to see/use it I use Opera.

I also have Firefox that I use for blogger.com because not all of the controls show up in Safari. I also have it so my Windows using friends can feel a little more at home on my mac.:p