Which browser for dialup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bowens, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2006
    Trenton, FL
    OK, I'm stuck on dial up at my house (my only high speed option would be satellite and it's just too expensive). I've got a new Mac Mini Core Duo and have been using Safari, but it just seems so slow. It is a lot slower even than my old Celeron 633 was running. I was wondering if Firefox, Camino, or Opera would be any faster. I have compared FF and Opera on windows and Opera wins hands down. If there is anyone out there still using dialup, what browser do you use?
  2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi, Bowens, welcome to MR. Have fun.

There is a number of threads (here for instance)on MR concerning various browsers and the general advice is to try each of them and see what you like best. Safari has often been quoted as being slow. FWIW, I use Shiira and find it clean, very fast and reliable.

Best of luck with your final choice and ---- enjoy MR! :)
  3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    I don't have personal experience with a lot of browsers, but from what I've heard Shiira and Camino are the fastest at rendering pages.
    However, if you're on dial-up, I don't think the difference would be as noticeable as if you were on highspeed...
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Same situation, and I use Safari.

Since it's dial-up, the slowness is mostly in the antiquated dial-up, I find any browser slowness is irrelevant.

So I use what I like the most (Safari).
  5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    You could try Lynx since ya know... it won't download anything but text... although I doubt it'll work with most of today's web sites.
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm on dial-up in my apartment and just swap back and forth between Camino and Safari as I feel. I found Camino to be a better browser (it continues to load pictures from sites like iLounge.com whereas Safari will stop loading them and the rest of the picture is grey) but I like the RSS of Safari. When Camino 1.1 comes out with RSS and a better ad blocker I will probably ditch Safari all together.

Neither of them are all that fast on dial-up though.
  7. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2006
    Trenton, FL
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will try Camino. From what I've found it seems to be pretty fast. I know it's not going to be very fast on dialup, but using Safari was almost unbearable.
  8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    What's the difference between Camino and Firefox? Aren't they both made by Mozilla?
  9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Try using Firefox and turning off images. You might also install a .hosts file designed to stop spam/tracking/spyware sites from hooking into your browser and slowing you down.

There's a great hosts file here, but I'm not sure how to install it. /etc/hosts seems to go unused by OS X.
  10. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2005
    Still dialing...

I am in the same situation as you. I still use Safari knowing that nothing will be very fast.

BTW, it's incredible that I can't get either cable or dsl when there's a Seagate factory less than a mile away!!