Which browser is which?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bousozoku, Nov 14, 2006.

?

Which browser is which, in order of screenshots?

1. 1 = Firefox, 2 = Safari, 3 = Shiira

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. 1 = Firefox, 2 = Shiira, 3 = Shiira

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. 1 = Safari, 2 = Shiira, 3 = Firefox

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. 1 = Safari, 2 = Firefox, 3 = Shiira

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  5. 1 = Shiira, 2 = Firefox, 3 = Safari

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  6. 1 = Shiira, 2 = Safari, 3 = Firefox

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Can't tell the difference

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've seen a lot of people contend that Safari looks so much better than Firefox and I know that there is some difference, even with version 2 of Firefox, though the difference is minimal now.

As I took screenshots with 3 different browsers, I wondered what you people thought.

Sorry that I don't have a can't tell option and I can't seem to add one, for whatever reason.

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think most people are talking abut the GUI rather than how the browser renders the page, I think. :eek:

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

you need a "can't tell", for you know.. those people who can't get it... not me of course though...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon I can tell Firefox but I haven't used Shiira so that's a struggle. I just assume it's quite similar to Safari in its rendering though.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Looks like I'm with the majority. 1 = Safari, 2 = Firefox, 3 = Shiira

Highlight my paragraph for the tells (wouldn't want to spoil it for others now would I ;):
    (start)
    Firefox renders the fonts slightly smaller. Also, iMeowbot's avatar... I know Firefox has a weird thing where it renders PNG images with a different gamma than other browsers. In this case, it's slightly lighter than in screenshots 1 and 3. I just went to that thread myself to double check and it's the same brightness as in 1 and 3. As for which is Safari and which is Shiira, well there's simply no way to tell. 1 and 3 look identical, different window sizes aside.
    (end)

That said, FF2 looks very close to Safari/other webkit browsers now so Safari's beautiful rendering isn't so much of an argument anymore.

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

There used to be a significant difference in rendering, though. Tables were especially noticeable. The MacRumors forums were safe because they used images for buttons. There was no change of native vs. non-native widgets.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very true. So are we ever gonna find out what the answer is?... :D

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Shiira is based off Webkit, so its rendering is identical to Safari. This is a trick poll!!! :) I really can't see the point of comparing renders.

Firefox's gamma shift of PNG images is a give-away, especially on non-calibrated monitors, in this case, the OP is using the Color LCD profile.

9. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

That'd be me. Also need a 'Who cares? Long as it works...'

10. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Well, the rendering between Shiira and Safari was different but in minor ways and at a glance, most people wouldn't notice.

The answer was: 1 = Safari, 2 = Firefox, 3 = Shiira for those brave 15 people who voted. :D I was going to throw in a choice or two with Opera but I didn't think that would be fair since I didn't take a screenshot of it.

In any case, rendering is similar enough that most people shouldn't have a problem with Firefox 2.

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

What's that difference? I looked at your screenshots 1 and 3 for a long time and they look identical to me. Not a pixel different, except that your window sizes aren't the same.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

dear, i can tell the 2nd is firefox, but plz.... safari and shiira use SAME ENGINE, they render exactly same. there SHOULD NOT be any difference between 1 and 3 at ALL

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They could be different if they used different default fonts, but they don't. In other words, rendering isn't the only factor in how a page is displayed. Admittedly, that's a pretty pathetic and moot point.