Which browser should I use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by leftfoot, Oct 8, 2006.

1. leftfoot macrumors regular

leftfoot

I'm using Firefox right now, and it's alright, but is there any other browser that I could use that could do the job better?

Just looking for suggestions.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Some prefer camino, but I don't like it. Flock is good if you like all the bells and whistles.

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I have found firefox to be a bit clunky I like camino but safari is my browser of choice

4. leftfoot thread starter macrumors regular

leftfoot

I tried Flock, and I liked it's ability to post pictures to Flickr within the browser itself.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if u need extensions, single window mode (in safari, u need to press cmd key when clicking a link to open a new tab instead of a new window), then fx is the only choice.

6. novicew macrumors member

novicew

I tried Safari, FF, Opera, Flock, DeskBrowse before settle with Camino. It is lightweight and fast.

7. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

depends on what you want to use it for. Firefox is pretty flexible and generally good for browsing. Safari is a better RSS-browser, so I use it simply for that purpose.

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont see why people say Safari is so slow? (not mentioned here yet)

To me it seems superfast and seems to get faster with every update. Im not keen on 3rd party stuff, I guess its an 'aint broke, dont fix it' thing. As well as not wanting stuff installed I'll never use. My OSX installation is super 'lean' and zips along like a cheetah... er... i mean Tiger. :p

I use Safari all the time and the new features shown in another post on MR look good. So Im looking forward to Leopard even more so.

Sorry to go on but while I think about it. Safari is made by Apple so its as well integrated into the system as your gonna get. Why would you choose a different browser? Its like having a TVR (sexy car) and having a Cortina's (**** car) offside wing panel - you know the one with the wing mirror about halfway down. :D

Just my opinion, not a prelude to a heated debate about Cortina's. Theyre great honest :p

10. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Seconded. Fast and sleek.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Third-ed: It is the most well-rounded browser for the Mac (Although it becomes bloated over time).

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

fourthed. very well integrated into the OS, sleek, and fast.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Safari except for those times I need to access the Norton support pages more than once in a session. Of course, that's pretty rare. I actually don't even have other browsers installed on my iMac. The iBook still has Internet Explorer, which is good for network administration sometimes. :)

14. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

If you like Safari you may also like Shiira which is also based on WebKit. I find that's faster, cleaner and more feature rich than Safari, though it still has problems with autofilling passwords and you may see Japanese characters in weird places (though this is very rare).

15. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

My only problem with Safari, and the only reason that I use Camino (which I do like), is that after a day or two I get the beach ball of frustration quite frequently. I can make this stop by quiting Safari and relaunching but that was becoming a hassle.
    I will use Camino until that is fixed.

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You have Norton on your mac? :eek:

17. xoai macrumors newbie

xoai

Firefox has tons of helpful extensions but it renders slow a bit and "eats" lot of memory. I like Opera but Safari is my choice, easy shortcut, light and fast.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, no, of course not. :D

I was trying to get a link to an uninstaller for another member so they could remove it. I never did get there. Norton redefines evil.

19. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I've been using OmniWeb for a couple months now and am mostly happy with it. There are a couple problems that bug me enough that I may move away from it soon though.

1) Despite choosing the option to load all new windows as a tab, many new windows open as.. yes, a new window! It's a known bug, something to do with links with target=_blank ..

2) Some pages just won't display properly. Not many though.

3) Drives me nuts that I can open a new tab, then when I close it, it doesn't put me back to the tab I was on when I opened the new one, but rather the tab above it.

Safari with Saft fixes 1 and 3. 2 will probably exist for a long time with most browsers.

20. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I've been using Firefox. It's fast and very customizable with themes and plenty of extensions.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Bon Echo, which is now FireFox Beta 2 is GREAT. Very fast...much better then FF 1.5, and Camino.(Preo FF Beta I used Camino)

22. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

Firefox is fine. if i'm correct, Bon Echo is still in beta form.