Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todd H

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2002
Eastman, Georgia
I use the Intel-optimized Deerpark from Mozilla with a Safari theme. I tried all of the others but just missed all of my old extensions too much.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I've found Opera to have the best CPU to performance ratio. The latest weekly build (3224) is the fastest I've found, and idles at under 5% on my 867 MHz PB. Also, I like the mail built in, and the fact that the latest release has a little blue number on the dock icon (which one should use pixadex on) that tells you how much mail you have, like mail.app. Plus I use the built in torrrent support, that works in this latest version. For those who think it is ugly, it is, try using the skins they have at opera.com. This latest build does crash more than 8.51 though, perhaps a couple times a week.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
amateurmacfreak said:
Link to a download?
I feel stupid. I couldn't find it.

You might have found it by now.. but here it is anyway:

http://macworld.com/1079

ewoh24 said:
I downloaded this last night for my iMac G5 2.1 GHz. I don't get it...It's the slowest out of the three browsers I have: Safari, Camino and it. It's certainly not optimized for my G5 anyways...Maybe for Dualies?

Yeah, the inital loading of the app is very slow. I found that after it's been opened at least once, it boots up faster from then on out. If you read in the new Macworld, they give you tips on how to make it run to the fullest extent by tweaking some settings in the about:config setting. I find it to run pretty well though. I like it better than Safari.

Todd H said:
I use the Intel-optimized Deerpark from Mozilla with a Safari theme. I tried all of the others but just missed all of my old extensions too much.

Yes. Same here. GrApple Brushed 1.8.

*For some reason everytime a go to a site and it has a video file thats streamed through WMP (wmv, asx), my browser freezes and I end up forcing it to quit. This happens on both my Safari and Firefox browsers... I have recently installed Flip4Mac and it still messes up... Anyone have a possible solution to this?

Todd H

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2002
Eastman, Georgia
For some reason everytime a go to a site and it has a video file thats streamed through WMP (wmv, asx), my browser freezes and I end up forcing it to quit. This happens on both my Safari and Firefox browsers... I have recently installed Flip4Mac and it still messes up... Anyone have a possible solution to this?

I can't get Flip4Mac to work at all. I've heard that if you set both Safari and Quicktime to open with Rosetta it will work, but I'm willing to wait until they release an Intel version.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
CrappyFlip4Mac

Todd H said:
I can't get Flip4Mac to work at all. I've heard that if you set both Safari and Quicktime to open with Rosetta it will work, but I'm willing to wait until they release an Intel version.

Good lord - haven't you opened a can of worms?!

Flip4Mac is soo buggy. Through QuickTime its ok ish, but when browsing the experience is crap. Often WMV's built within crash FireFox and Safari. The only time I've ever seen Safari crash in 14months is when trying to open a .wmv.

I thought Flip4Mac was a private company before it became free software - people actually paid for this?!

F

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The browser with the best Flash content blocker. (Currently Firefox I believe)

Apple should add an option in Safari to limit Shockwave/Flash content to 25% CPU usage or however little is necessary to keep all Mac models' fans quiet while surfing.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
FireArse said:
Good lord - haven't you opened a can of worms?!

Flip4Mac is soo buggy. Through QuickTime its ok ish, but when browsing the experience is crap. Often WMV's built within crash FireFox and Safari. The only time I've ever seen Safari crash in 14months is when trying to open a .wmv.

I thought Flip4Mac was a private company before it became free software - people actually paid for this?!

F

Yeah, well I have the same problem and am on my PowerPC.... To counteract this crash, I set Flip4Mac to open Quicktime and play the feed, which doesn't error my browser. Quite lame, but it's better than forcing a quit and going back to the sites opened.

Anyone know how to fix this? Some people's Safari/Firefox play WMV/ASX feeds without a problem. :mad:

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
gekko513 said:
The browser with the best Flash content blocker. (Currently Firefox I believe)

Apple should add an option in Safari to limit Shockwave/Flash content to 25% CPU usage or however little is necessary to keep all Mac models' fans quiet while surfing.

Yes but then if you cap the CPU usage the Flash will be so slow that it
wont be usable anymore.

ewoh24

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
keithbennis said:
Yeah, well I have the same problem and am on my PowerPC.... To counteract this crash, I set Flip4Mac to open Quicktime and play the feed, which doesn't error my browser. Quite lame, but it's better than forcing a quit and going back to the sites opened.

Anyone know how to fix this? Some people's Safari/Firefox play WMV/ASX feeds without a problem. :mad:

Purchase the upgrade. It's pricey but I needed the import/export capability. It hasn't crashed once since I bought it. It felt really nice to drag WMP to the trash!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.