Which Browser.....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by glosterseagul, Apr 3, 2005.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2004
    I still can't make up my mind...please list your reasons....eg

Like it because...quicktime always loads
    Not so good because...with my new scroll on the track pad you Can't go back to prev page.

Like it because...with my new scroll on the track pad you can go back to prev page.
    Not so good because...quicktime not always loads

Like it because...
    Not so good because...
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Like it, just because it works... despite my bank only wanting IE or Netscape... tough.

I made the mistake once of saying to the web guys in my team, 'Firefox, big deal, it's just a browser'. There was a sharp intake of breath, followed by looks of pitiful scorn...

Honestly, I spend most of my web time here, on amazon, ebay, or some other mac-related sites. Safari does the trick 99% of the time for me...
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Firefox has its own pitfalls. Pick whichever one you really like and then keep the other around in case you get a web site that doesn't work with your default browser.

Oh, my bank supports Safari but does not support Mozilla or Firefox - although it should since it supports Netscape 6.2 or later.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i use either Safari, but more more often than not i use Camino :D (as you can tell by my 'tar)

why? well it has the speed of FF, if not faster, but it has a feel of a OS X app

its a bit more lightweight than FF and Safari, but works faster and has all the features that i need, including pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing etc

its really underrated, but i think its the best one out there right now for OS X
  5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    I'm going to try Camino actually.

But at the moment its Firefox all the way.. It works with every site i go on.. and Natwest Bank (UK) when safari doesn't.
  6. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004

Beyond being a long time user, it lets me edit and redisplay live web pages, takes full advantage of services and text fields zoom out into their own window for composing posts (like this one). Also, as I work mainly on a PowerBook I need the click and hold contextual menus (something that is annoyingly missing from Safari).

There are most likely other reasons, but those are the ones I notice the most when having to used another browser.

Oh, and one last big reason, Apple doesn't support 10.2 users with the latest version of Safari and WebCore while OmniWeb 5.1 provides that rendering engine (OmniWeb uses it's own version rather than just repackaging Safari's rendering engine like Shiira). I don't think that Safari is worth $129 I would need to pay (if I hadn't already paid for it) to get to 1.2, but OmniWeb was worth the $10 I paid for the upgrade to 5.1 from 4.5.
  7. mcarvin macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    Southern NJ
    I have 5 browsers in my dock - Safari, Firefox (Neil Lee's G5-optimized 1.0.1), OmniWeb 5.1, Camino, and Opera 8 beta.

Seriously, give the Opera beta a shot. Plays well with Keychain and it picked my gmail password out for me, nice Email/RSS features, built-in gestures, has gorgeous text rendering, and the skins can make it more Mac-like. I've been using it 40-50% of the time since January.

I bought OmniWeb at v4.5. Opera 8 might just be the second browser I buy when it goes final.

Download Opera 8 beta
  8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    This isn't exactly a new topic... borders on repost... ;)

The last time it was brought up I listed these reasons for still preferring Firefox, even if it has a couple of (non critical) bugs:
    Some of these also excludes Camino, and Opera has never really worked for me...
  9. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2004
    I must say Safari is what I tend to use - but I do like the scrolling with two fingers to go back and forwrd with firefox. Seema odd that it doesnt work on Safari.

Matter of interest I just tried my banks again..No good on HSBC or Natwest but First Direct works fine.
  10. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2004

....on Safari! :)
  11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    FF myself, I'd been using it for a good 4-5 months on PC before I switched to Mac so when I got my mac I just went with FF.
  12. swindmill macrumors 6502a

Mar 17, 2005
    Some of the extensions available for FF make it by far the best choice for me. Throw in Safari look skin and you're ready to go.
  13. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Dude, you really need to learn to use something like Quicksilver or Launchbar. :D

But back to the topic at hand. I keep ending up back with Firefox, despite its flaws. Safari's CSS handling still occasionally throws a brick; plus it doesn't give you as fine-grained control over popups and image blocking. Camino would be my browser of choice, if they only implemented support for most of the Firefox/Mozilla plugins. I try it every new point release, and I end up only using it about 10 minutes before going back to Firefox.

Firefox has a couple Mac-only CSS bugs, but they tend to be pretty obscure. Unfortunately one of them is evident if you visit my personal site. :mad:

Edit: Oh, and I forgot that Camino doesn't have the cookie-management capabilities of Firefox. I'm sure most people couldn't care less; but (for instance) I really like being able to force cookies to be "current session only" for those sites that require cookies for no good reason.
  14. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    so far after switching i have used IE, safari, FF, and now camino and i would have to say so far i like camino the best.....i like how it scrolls down the page a whole lot faster than FF...that really used to annoy me...and i havent had any "crashes" with camino like i did with safari and FF
  15. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    It's supposed to be horizontal scrolling, not back/forward; it just happens that the default Firefox config does that (by mistake it would seem)

I guess it depends how you use your browser; I found it very annoying, as I was going back/forward by mistake when scrolling down. I also use the horizontal scrolling quite a bit on sites with large images. (I don't like my browser window to fill the screen)

Personally I go with Firefox; I can set it up just how I like it, unlike safari, and there are some great extensions for it that either don't have an equivalent for Safari, or don't work as well.

With Firefox, after doing some config file tweaks, it's now a completely single window browser. (with the exception of certain popup windows, like screenshots on some sites)

The "Linkification" extension will convert plain-text links on any page into html ones, which saves me copying and pasting links on quite a few sites.

The "Web developer toolbar" can be toggled on and off with one button, and is invaluable when working on a site.

And then there's "Adblock." This extension is the reason I can't go back to any other browser; I rarely ever see an advertisement of any kind on web pages anymore, and if I do, I can just add them to my config file to block them. Not only does it block adverts, I can also use it to remove elements from pages that I don't want to see.

Firefox does have some downsides though; while page loading seems as fast or faster, actual performance is worse than Safari. Flash runs a lot slower, for example.

Performance has increased quite significantly on OSX compared to older builds though, and 1.1 will see another leap in performance. (I played around with a G5 Optimized build on my iMac and it was at least twice as fast)
  16. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I really love the latest optimized Camino builds (http://camino.ilnm.com/). They are SO fast, and after installing Camino ExtraPrefs, I haven't seen an ad ANYWHERE, not even a Google text ad (yup, it even blocks them)!
  17. 2Sticky macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2005
    I use safari, love the looks of it, and have never had a problem with it!
  18. minton macrumors member

Jul 30, 2004
    I use Firefox mainly for the great extensions - sessionsaver (ever have safari crash and lose all your tabs?), ForecastFox (bye, bye, always-breaking-everytime-weather.com-changes-its-format Meteorologist ). But the biggest thing for me is the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension. You point it to your ftp site (I got a free acount at gurble.com) and upload your bookmarks to it. Thereafter, you can have all your Firefox browsers synchronized on different machines. I use a pc at work, a pc at my parents house, a powermac, a pc laptop, and a powerbook in my apartment. And they all have the same bookmarks. It's brilliant. Firefox makes alot of these "wouldn't it be cool" wishes a reality.
  19. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2005
    Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
    Firefox vs. Camino

Can anyone tell me the major differences between firefox and camino. I have not tried either one yet but want to know what pros and cons I can expect. I use safari and have bee very happy with it.
  20. JediL1 macrumors member

Apr 12, 2003
    Firefox and Camino both use the Gecko rendering engine (same as Netscape and Mozilla).

Camino is a Cocoa app natively written specifically for Mac OS X unlike Firefox which is a port. It has more of a "mac" feel like how the bookmark system is like safari or iTunes.

The downside is that Camino doesn't have as many extensions as Firefox.
  21. AstroManLuca macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    Safari: Wonderful interface, spell checking, best keyboard shortcuts, most consistent scrolling.
    BUT: Kinda slow, EXTREMELY slow with animated GIFs on the screen, no ad blocking, pop-up blocker doesn't always work.

Camino: Fastest of the ones I've tried. Good looking interface.
    BUT: Not customizable at all, and the interface isn't as nice as Safari's.

Firefox: Very customizable. Ad blocking using the AdBlock extension is a godsend. I love extensions!
    BUT: Horrible, ugly interface. Actually kind of slow for me. Behaves strangely sometimes. Text input is the worst of the three.
  22. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Camino all the way. It is faster for me, and I have tried all the free ones (Safari, FF, Shiira, Netscape). Also one can try the optimized versions which I find even faster here: http://camino.ilnm.com/
  23. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I like Safari just because it seems it's easiest to use for me. Everything is laid out nicely.
  24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Safari because of the integration with OSX - the same reason I'll keep using IE on my Windows machines. :)

Plus, I can't stand the Mozilla range of software. I know they're competent and everything but they put their files/folders throughout the system which I hate!
  25. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004

You can't exactly blame Safari for that. Firefox's ad/ pop up blocker is also having problems with pop-unders as I and many people call them. I use ff on my Pmac and get Pop-unders on the same sites I go to that I go to when I use Safari. I prefer Safari over FF. Haven't used Camino.