Which cable? (HDMI)

Discussion in 'Games' started by rye9, Dec 25, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

So today I got a ps3.... however I'm not going to use it until I get a HDMI cable.. and I see that there are MANY on the market.. any brands or specific cables you reccomend I lean towards or steer clear of? Thanks :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... okay, you're getting a first response from a non-snob, but... I have to say it. HDMI is a DIGITAL standard. I barely believe the hype concerning quality of analog cables, but I am certainly not going to believe it for digital cables. Get one that's well-shielded (so it (a) won't break easily, and (b) will be interference free), that connects to your gear correctly, that looks good, and that is as cheap as possible. That's about it. Which one you get is not going to make a substantial difference in video quality.

If you want to feel better about it, though, read this:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/67909965/m/819009742831

3. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I can't vouch for quality for either the site or hdmi cables in general, but here is a link...

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I bought a HDMI cable from Fry's for my PS3, it was pretty cheap and works just as good as the over priced monster branded stuff :)

Also if you go to a best buy dont look for the cable around the TV's, they only put the expensive cables in that area, go to the cable section and they have some cheaper $30 or so cables.

Ed

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I have a $15 HDMI cable running from my DVD player to my Sony HD, and it works like a charm. Don't believe the hype - most brands will give you equal quality over HDMI. Monster is a gigantic ripoff.

6. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Any basic HDMI cable will work with it. Also go on the playstation store and download GT HD.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Get the cheapest one you can get your hands on!! I saw one yesterday in a supermarket like shop in Germany for €10 I think it was, so about £7. I was seriously tempted to get one even though I don't have any hardware with HDMI connectors!!

8. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Ok I'll look for any of the cheaper cables cuz brand and quality don't matter.. they're all the same thing basically. :D

9. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Get the monoprice cable excellent quality and cheap prices too

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The whole point of a new digital format like DVI or HDMI is to create a uniform high quality standard that eliminates all the fun involved with normal analogue cables.

Unless you need a long length (10+ etc.) stick to realistic price.

I bought a £13 cable for my up-scale Sony DVD player, works fine - amazing improvement over RGB.

11. buffalo macrumors 65816

I have been browsing through BestBuy.com looking at HDMI cables for a PS3. The cheapest cable seems to be around $50. Is this the cheapest I'll be able to find?

12. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Check out...

newegg.com They are pretty cheap on everything... I remember one day seeing 15 dollar hdmi cables (haven't looked recently though).

13. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

newgg really I find there stuff a bit high at times, but on odd things. $15 for an hdmi cable is pretty awesome though.

14. aj98 macrumors member

try this site for all your cable needs:

www.firefold.com

My last order was for
    2x 10' HDMI
    2x 10' component
    2x 6' optical, and
    2x 18" SATA cables

Including shipping, total was 38$ and change

15. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

No, it's not haha. Monoprice.com

You can get that same cable for aobut 5 bucks here.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Monoprice.com seconded (thirded, fourthed, whatever it is). I bought a 25-foot cable from them for about $25 USD, and total costs worked out to less than $40 Canadian. Here at Best Buy or Future Shop, it's $200-300... yikes.

They sell all kinds of other cables and stuff too.

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I'll have to agree with the monoprice recommendation. They have a 6' cable for $7 there. I got my HDMI from Fry's (outpost.com) for $17.99.

Ed

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I paid $130 for 8' of HDMI-DVI cable at Circuit City before Christmas because I wanted to run my PS3 at 1080p and didn't want to wait for the shipping from an online vendor.

So I took them back for a full refund this week when UPS dropped off my $26 25' cables.

The Circuit City cabling said "Pure A|V by Belkin". If the saleszombie asked any questions about the return I was tempted to say something about how A|V must stand for anal violation.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan