Which Camcorder…

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Romulan, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Romulan macrumors member

Aug 10, 2004
    I'm looking into buying a camcorder. So far I've scoped out two models: the Canon ZR-80 and the Sony HC-30. The sony costs more, but i read that it does better in low light. I was just wondering what your opinions on these camcorders were? Which one would you choose? Thanks in advance guys. You guys helped me out alot in the past. :)
  2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    What are you goals? If you are a "light" filmer and never hold on to your electronic for years, go for the cheapest. Ask yourself, why pay more?
  3. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    I would get the Sony. I have a Sony TRV19 which is the low end DV model from last year and I love it. Sony's lens is noticably better than competitors (when I was buying anyways), and it just shoots everything great. I think it is worth the extra money, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'd go with the better low-light capabilities, since "low light" is often defined to include "normal indoor conditions". :rolleyes:

I wish that at least one of the many review sites you can find would group a bunch of camcorders together and show a clip of how each of them shot a typically lit indoor scene. It's very difficult to decide what to buy based on relative "grades" given by different sites....
  5. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Sep 29, 2004
    Somewhere close to a dairy in East Texas
    I own a ZR-80. It's great as long as you don't want to do anything more than just document what's going on. Low level light is ok, but nothing spectacular. Also, the microphone picks up a slight squeak from the cassette turning inside when filming. I've tried several different cassettes. Some are better than others, but all make a slight noise. Although, its only noticable when whatever your filming is absolutely silent.
  6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002