Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
I have a choice of getting one of two video cameras from Visa, but I can't decide.

One of them is the Canon ZR85 and the other is a sony handycam that records on dvds. I don't understand the point of recording on DVDs or DVD-RW's. With the Canon can I use iMovie and edit my movies? Its a true digital video camera right?

Canon

Sony

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
The Sony is worth much more than the Canon. The point of the sony is to beable to record onto the DVD so when your done taping you just pop the DVD into your VCR. Yes the Canon is compatible with iMovie. Most major brand cameras seem to be. I would reccomend the sony because overall i like sony more.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
EJBasile said:
The Sony is worth much more than the Canon. The point of the sony is to beable to record onto the DVD so when your done taping you just pop the DVD into your VCR. Yes the Canon is compatible with iMovie. Most major brand cameras seem to be. I would reccomend the sony because overall i like sony more.

sorry i forgot to mention that the sony takes more points...i guess that would make a difference...my mistake.

anyways is it important to be able to record on dvds? is there some sort of advantage to this?

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
EJBasile said:

Working on DVD's is a lost technology; DO NOT get the Sony DVD handycam. It will be out of the market soon, as mini DV camcorders see a greater proliferation. MiniDVD's have a more compressed image and will make post-prod doubly difficult.

Check for sony's lower end mini DV cams to get a fairer comparison ...

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
djkny said:
Working on DVD's is a lost technology; DO NOT get the Sony DVD handycam. It will be out of the market soon, as mini DV camcorders see a greater proliferation. MiniDVD's have a more compressed image and will make post-prod doubly difficult.

Check for sony's lower end mini DV cams to get a fairer comparison ...

thanks djkny...i ordered the miniDV.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I have a canon ZR40 and love it. i highly recommand it, its picture is amazing, its small, light and affordable, a plus in my book

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
puckhead193 said:
I have a canon ZR40 and love it. i highly recommand it, its picture is amazing, its small, light and affordable, a plus in my book

thanks puckhead...does your ZR40 have an external mic input?

BigEvan23

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Optura 40

My Vote is for the Canon Optura 40...great reviews and and a great dv cam/2.0 megapixel digicam. MacWorld gave it 4.5 mice...do a google search for Canon Optura 40 Review and you should find it. It can be found for around 600 dollars which isn't bad cause retail is around 1000. I got mine for 611 from 6th ave electronics (in store) and they honored their web price so no shipping! GOOD LUCK!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.