Which camera is better?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmmdreg, Sep 21, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Anyone here want to compare the canon S40 and the Sony DSC-P9? I want to get ideas from personal experience...

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Re: Which camera is better?

It's all up to preference. Personally, I prefer any model by Canon over Sony. Canon started out making camera's and have a better backgroundin them. At leats, that's what I think. Also, being a film student, I can tell you that most filmmakers prefer Canon products over Sony. But, like I said, it's all up to preference.

3. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

DUDE!

I have the Canon S30. The camera is outstanding. IT has so many more features than any other camera out there. Battery life is very good. It uses CompactFlash cards instead of Sony media.

My friend has a Sony. And comparing picture quality, I must say that my Canon out performs.

And when you get in a bind and you need to open up the aperture or set the film speed... the Canon can do it..and I dont think the Sony can.

I can take images with no lights on setting the film speed at 400, sure it comes out grainy..but it's super cool. It's almost like your very own mini SLR camera.

You can check out some pics on my pBase site: Sphereboy Pictures

I hope that helps you out. I did alot of research before I bought mine, and all signs pointed to Canon. They make the best opticals for video/cameras.

I must have taken over 2000 pictures already with mine.

Enjoy.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I have the Sony DSC-P7, which is basically the same as the P9, but with 3.2MP instead of 4.0MP. I think it's great. I was either going to get the Canon S200 or the P7 and went with the Sony because of the superior "movie" mode and better zoom.

Canon has since come out with the S230, but the zoom is still a 2x zoom.

I guess the main difference between the S40 and the P9 is size. The Sony is a compact digital camera and the Canon S40 is more of a standard sized digicam. That's probably the biggest difference. So you should definately check out how each one feels in your hands. In my (average) sized hands, the Sony fits comfortably. The bigger S40 should feel fine. But I wanted the smaller compact form factor.

BTW, the Sony's do have adjustable settings for "film" speed. They are Auto, 100, 200 and 400.

Oh, I agree that CF is superior to Memory Stick, but the prices of MS is coming down and the available sizes are going up. I think they're planning 512MB stick by the end of the year. I got 2 128MB sticks for $50 each (after rebate). Not bad.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

They already have 512MB CF cards. I saw one for $190 with a $50 mail-in rebate. Awesome if you ask me.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

RBM,

I fully agree that CF is better than Memory Sticks. There are a bunch of people who sell them, so prices tend to be lower and the capacity are up to 1GB.

I was just responding to what the previous poster said that his Canon S30 uses CF rather than MS. I was just elaborating. The prices for 128MB media these days is very comparable across all media types.

7. kibit macrumors member

kibit

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I was just pointing out that CF already had higher capacity cards. I truly agree with you, CF is much better than the Memory Stick.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

11. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Is it just me, but I thought that the S40 and the P9 are the same size. Aren't they both 4.4 x 2.3 x 1.7 (approximately)

I'm also sorta in the same boat, and I'm currently looking at the S40. Will it be a good buy? I want high-quality pictures, but I want a point and shoot type camera, should be somewhat portable.

12. oldMac macrumors 6502a

I considered the S40...

But then I decided that I would prefer a smaller camera with fewer features since my use is primarily just personal snapshot type stuff.

I went with the Canon S330 and I must say that it's an oustanding camera.

13. giovanni macrumors regular

great choice !

great choice. I have no doubts the s30 is just the best you can get for the money (and more money too). I already got two of them. Even when I was buying my second one I considered alternatives and came to the conclusion that only spending a lot more ($2,000+) I would truly get anything "better". Needless to say, "better" will always be a relative concept: better for me may not be the same for you. But when it comes to pic quality, manual controls, well designed and rational operations, speed - you cannot beat the s30. If you need real speed (I mean substantially better thanany sub $2000 camera) or lots of pixels, than you'd have to go with the pro/slr models.

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OA,

It's just you.;) Seriously, the S30/S40/S45 are close to the size of the P7/P9, but it still is bigger. The Canon's are 4.4x2.3x1.7 and the Sony's are 4.5x2.1x1.4. The Sony is noticeably "thinner" than the Canon.

The other main difference in "size" is the weight. Including batteries, the Sony weighs 206g whereas the Canon weighs 323g. The Canon is over 50% heavier.

These factors may not be important to everyone, but in my experience, if a camera is too big, I won't bring it. That's why I went with the Sony.

The Canon that competes with these Sony's in size are the S200 and S330. The S230 will be coming out next month.

15. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Oh hey, I must have read the specs wrong. Sorry, I thought the sony was also 1.7" thick...the 0.3" thickness does make a lot of difference I agree.

Edit: lol, i found my mistake. I saw the 7 in 7/16" for the Sony specs...didn't notice the 16. lol, je suis imbecile :eek:

16. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Wow, that S230 is awesome...a 3 MP camera only 1.1" thick! Hey, that 0.3" could make a difference! :p :D And that 9 point focus and faster processors are a plus too.

Too bad I'm going for quality, and that means a 4MP camera w/ 3x optical zoom...that means S40 for me. The sony only has a 2x zoom.

Anyway, check out that new sony U10! Wow, a 1MP camera as small as a jumbo pack of gum...sweet! But here a smaller 1 MP camera (I think)...Cubik!

(sorry I went off-topic)

Attached Files:

17. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, the S230 is really nice. I bought my Sony P7 a couple of days before they announced the S230. If I had waited, I might have gone with the S230 over the Sony P7. Oh well.

I'm sure the S40 is a great camera. But is that the newest Canon in that body style? I think I saw an S45 on some website. Not sure what the differences are.

BTW, the Sony's all have 3x zooms.

OK - I just checked. The S40 has been discontinued. The S45 was just announced and will replace the S40. Maybe the prices of the S40 will come down!

18. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

No way! Really? I gotta check the specs on the S45...sounds interesting ^_^.

19. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

20. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Okay well I decided to get the s40...my question (which I posted in the other forums as well) is that if I buy here in Japan, will it work in Australia?

21. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You should be just fine. The charger that comes with it should be a "universal" adapter. That means it's rated for 100-240V, 50-60Hz. All you need is an adapter for the plug.

The CF cards should all work the same. I guess you'll need to switch the menus from Japanese to English. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any problems.

22. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

do I have to install Japanese software to use it or does Jaguar have all that?

23. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm not sure, but I don't think you would have to. There's really no language interface between the camera and Mac.

What I was trying to say was to switch the camera from Japanese to English, so that you know what the menus (on the camera) was saying.

If you're using iPhoto, you shouldn't have any problems. And Image Capture should work as well.