Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
When I spoke with the sales at Wind a week ago, he said that I could get a prepaid sim card without signing a contract. However, he asked my driver's license and asked me to sign some documents. In a brochure there is a mention about a 15-day return policy that if you are not happy with the phone or service, return to the store. I complained to the sales about the poor connection the next day I got the sim card. He said that there is no refund and if I don't like the service, I just don't top up at the end of the 1-month period. I double checked the document he gave me. There is a mention that the commitment period is monthly and the first payment due date is next month. What is that all about?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
He basically lied to you to get the sale. That's not very nice.

If it's truly prepaid, your service should end when your time and credit run out, or shortly after that.

That's probably why cell phone companies are among the most hated companies out there. There's lots of competition, so don't be afraid to walk away and make sure you complain to the CRTC (Canadian Radio Telecommunications and Television Commission).

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints

I just found this company, they're willing to send you a sim card for free.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Anybody familiar with the WIND Smartphone 40 Bonus 2GB plan? Before I signed, the agent told me that it is a prepaid sim. From the hard cover which the agent gave me and also the form which he asked me to sign, there is also a mention of "Our 15-day return policy" that "If you're not happy with your phone or your service, return to the store that activated your service. Phones that are in like-new condition can be refunded or exchanged." On the form that the agent asked me to sign, there is a note that "No refunds for TOP UP/monthly fee paid." He was supposed to sign himself but he didn't.

I logged on my Wind account. Under "What happens if I don't top up in time (Pay Before monthly plan customers)?", it mentions that "If you top up later than the start of your monthly plan due date you will still need to pay 100% of your monthly plan and add-on fees. We will prorate monthly fees at the end of the month based on the following rules..." There is no mention about

If I don't top up by the due day, they won't come back to me later and demand that I pay?

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Wind is the worst. I have been with them for the past 2 years, and before that I was with Fido.
The coverage is really bad, and it often drops connection or goes to Wind Away (roaming). When you have full signal, the service is still often unusable. The 3G doesn't feel like 3G.
Very slow speeds, disconnects. Usually have to turn off/on cell service to to data to work.

I switched because I moved to the US for a while, and would spend a lot of time there. In the US it was pretty good at first. But they recently changed how it works, only give you 1gb of US roaming now. I also find the us roaming to be much worse now as well, throttled speeds, disconnections etc.

I now want to switch back to Fido (since they launched 5 dollar a day US roaming). Just waiting to see if they offer some back to school promotions.

Reactions: MacInTO

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Wind is the worst. I have been with them for the past 2 years, and before that I was with Fido.
The coverage is really bad, and it often drops connection or goes to Wind Away (roaming). When you have full signal, the service is still often unusable. The 3G doesn't feel like 3G.
Very slow speeds, disconnects. Usually have to turn off/on cell service to to data to work.

Exactly! They said that iPhone cannot use 4G. Even for 3G, it is like 0-1G.

I did some tests with my friend (using Bell). His iPhone loaded websites instantly while mine was blank most of the time. I also could not send/receive phone calls in open space.
[doublepost=1465050529][/doublepost]In Ontario Canada, when signing up for prepaid monthly plans offered by companies like Wind, Koodo and Bell, does that mean if we don't like the service, we just don't top up at the end of the one month period without noticing the company and there is no further commitment?

Can I refuse to provide information such as driving license and home address? In the case of Wind, the agent said that the information was just to set up my account. If it is truly prepaid, I cannot understand why these companies need such information.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Out of curiosity: what do you use all this traffic for?

My family has a cottage on a lake where I spend most of April > October. I love it there. I've tried every other land-based internet provider available in the area but Rogers is the only one that gets me a decent LTE signal. So I tether my iPhone to my iMac so it's my family's only internet source for several months. My 15GB/month plan is adequate for my needs there; I download major software updates at home when I go there.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I'm an American, so I'm not sure how much you'll care for my opinion. :D

However, I use T-Mobile, which gives me full access to ALL of the networks in Canada.

In my experience, which has been in everywhere between Windsor and Hamilton on the 401, everywhere between Hamilton and NY on the 403/QEW, and some sub-GTA areas, I have found the experience to be absolutely phenomenal on TELUS.

I would go for TELUS, be it direct-branded or Koodo. However, one thing that matters to me is having the most technologically-advanced network... which would include things like Voice over LTE and 700 MHz spectrum.

TELUS only has VoLTE in Southern BC. Bell's VoLTE is hit and miss in Ontario - it's varied by area code and only on certain devices. Rogers has it nationwide... and AFAIK Rogers is also the only carrier with low-band (700 MHz) deployed in Southern Ontario.

However, I doubt you care about those things unless you're a cellular nerd like me, and I doubt Rogers steep pricing is worth it.

Even without that low-band, TELUS has me covered pretty much everywhere I go, save for one underground building in Niagara.

I vote for TELUS.

Reactions: MacInTO

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Both Koodo and Fido have double data promotions going on today. It's the last day, but a good chance to get more data for the same price :)

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I was looking to change carries and just happened to check the site on the last day of the promotion.

There are usually Back To School promotions, so check around the end of the summer. There's also Boxing Day specials too.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Depends on your location I use Fido and have a very good plan with 2gb data unlimited calls in canada and unlimited sms internationally I pay 34$ per month I found this offer on their website I went to check plans to reduce my bill and found this one I called them right away to get it no contract or anything. For the signal it is overall good and rarely have dropped calls. I vote for Fido.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I'm an American, so I'm not sure how much you'll care for my opinion. :D

However, I use T-Mobile, which gives me full access to ALL of the networks in Canada.
I use T-Mobile. I live in Canada and travel frequently to the US. I like that roaming is included in the T-Mobile plans. I also like that when I go over the data, they don't charge me more. The data is slower after I go over, but that's better than paying more which is fine with me.

I've recently started using my T-Mobile number more than my Canadian number. I switched to only a voice+text plan on my Canadian number and the data on my US number. I could theoretically get rid of my Canadian number and only use T-Mobile on this setup.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I went to a Bell Authorized Dealer to set up a Fibe TV home internet network. I asked about mobile service. The sales told me that he could offer me Virgin unlimited calls and 1GB for about CAD$40. He said that it uses the same network as Bell and that there is no differences between the two except the name. He said that if I insist on using Bell mobility, I pay about CAD$70 for the same thing. He said that unlike the 2-year plan I signed up, I could stop the mobile services anytime without penalty. Was he telling the truth on all these?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.