Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amantedemúsica

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2007
With Gilligan and the Skipper
What car?

Hey Naz, the car that you should definitely get is none of those cars on your list. The car is a 2008 Honda Civic Si coupe, or just the regular Ex coupe. Under the hood you can get a bunch of horses moded onto the engine, and you can customize the exterior to your exact preference. They are popular yes, but you can beat the street in one of them any day. (Plus you get great gas mileage!) :cool:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Hey Naz, the car that you should definitely get is none of those cars on your list. The car is a 2008 Honda Civic Si coupe, or just the regular Ex coupe. Under the hood you can get a bunch of horses moded onto the engine, and you can customize the exterior to your exact preference. They are popular yes, but you can beat the street in one of them any day. (Plus you get great gas mileage!) See ya in ciences. K :cool:

1) Freaking ricer! 2) Good bye warranty and reliability. The parts in the engine aren't made to withstand the pressure of a S/C or Turbo if you add one. That is why the GT has an advantage. It has parts to withstand the extra pressure added by a S/C and turbo. 3) Love your arrogance too. How much HP will you need to add to the Civic to beat a Z06, Gallardo, GT, etc? Plus, one huge negative with the Civic. IT'S FWD! Hello torque steer with anything over 300 HP( look at the Impala SS, although the Grand Prix GXP has some extras the Impy doesn't have that reduces torque steer). You'll have to add a lot to get anywhere close to what the Z06 can do. Motortrend got the Z06 to 0-60 in 3.4 seconds.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
This will be my choice. Aston Martin V8 Vantage......drool!!!:D :D

Attachments

• V8 Vantage.jpg
    V8 Vantage.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 167

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Three of my friends blew up their engines trying to turbocharge their crap Honda Civics. And before they blew up, they were all still slower than my very modded Saab and slightly modded Camaro anyway, both of which still run perfectly, and neither of which themselves in the same power class as the cars in the OP's wishlist.

I hope you were joking, but since you registered just to post that, somehow I think you're not.

amantedemúsica

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2007
What do you drive, a Geo Metro?

With the right money, you can get a Civic up to around 400hp. get some race slicks, you could kill any Saab, Camaro. Call me a freakin ricer, what do you drive, some crap rust bucket Geo Metro? Plus, it all boils down to the driver. You have a crappy driver, your car will end up in the ditch.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
amantedemúsica;3453945 said:
With the right money, you can get a Civic up to around 400hp. get some race slicks, you could kill any Saab, Camaro.

You're missing the point - you still have a Civic. A fast, lousy car. Someone looking at the types of cars the OP listed would hardly be satisfied with a really fast... Civic.

Also, the fastest Camaro in the world is most assuredly faster than the fastest Civic in the world, if you really think you want to get into that area.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
With the right money, you can get a Civic up to around 400hp. get some race slicks, you could kill any Saab, Camaro. Call me a freakin ricer, what do you drive, some crap rust bucket Geo Metro? Plus, it all boils down to the driver. You have a crappy driver, your car will end up in the ditch.

1) How much will that cost you? 2) 400 HP even with decent tires going to the front wheels will give you loads of torque steer. Better be strong in the arms to hold that steering wheel. 3) How much weight will all these mods will add to the car? Will the exterior mods effect its drag and its aerodynamics? 4) You can definitely say good bye reliability. That poor little 4 banger in the Civic isn't made to withstand 400 HP. 5) How will that power affect handling? You might beat a Camaro, Corvette, etc in the straight line, but in the curve I bet the Civic with all that power going to the front wheels will hinder its performance and make it lose the race. 6) I drive a 2007 Saturn Aura XR.

amantedemúsica

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2007
Man, you two are really big whiners (dpaanlka, and quagmire). I will try to answer/reply to quagmire's questions. 1)-Probably around $15,000-$20,000, but if you could by an Aston, you would have that kind of money to dump into a project car like this. 2)-Yes, I would consider going to the gym to be able to handle the torque of the front wheels. 3)-To keep the weight down, take out all the unused parts of the car (meaning interior, seats, consoles, chandaliers, t.v's, playstations, etc.), and replace the drivers seat with a carbon fiber competition seat (that'll run you another $2,000 or so), and replace external parts such as body panels with carbon fiber parts (hoods, trunks, bumpers), and you've got a light car. 4)-Yeah, reliability probably would suck. 5)-Sometimes FWD is better than AWD, or RWD. Partially the reason I recommended the Civic is because I live in Minnesota and in the winter time when snow is on the ground, FWD gives you an advantage over RWD.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
amantedemúsica;3454701 said:
Man, you two are really big whiners (dpaanlka, and quagmire). I will try to answer/reply to quagmire's questions. 1)-Probably around $15,000-$20,000, but if you could by an Aston, you would have that kind of money to dump into a project car like this. 2)-Yes, I would consider going to the gym to be able to handle the torque of the front wheels. 3)-To keep the weight down, take out all the unused parts of the car (meaning interior, seats, consoles, chandaliers, t.v's, playstations, etc.), and replace the drivers seat with a carbon fiber competition seat (that'll run you another $2,000 or so), and replace external parts such as body panels with carbon fiber parts (hoods, trunks, bumpers), and you've got a light car. 4)-Yeah, reliability probably would suck. 5)-Sometimes FWD is better than AWD, or RWD. Partially the reason I recommended the Civic is because I live in Minnesota and in the winter time when snow is on the ground, FWD gives you an advantage over RWD.

Pretty much take the practicality out of the car just to smoke an Aston in the 1/4 mile? At least with the OP's list of cars they're more practical then what you want to do with a Civic. At least the Aston will make it to 100K easily with its original parts. Good luck with the Civic lasting half that without major issues with those mods. Considering the Z06 costs $70K, rather spend the extra $30-$40K to get practicality, a warranty, reliability, and a car that can go into the curves without the power taking over.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
"I'm having a hard time deciding between a Ford GT or an Aston Martin. What do you think?"

"I recommend a Honda Civic."

This *debate* (if you can call it that) is too hysterical to even participate in anymore.

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
Aston Martin, hands down. None of the others even compare.

Also look at the other Astons if it's going to be a daily drive -- the DB9 would be an excellent choice, and especially the Aston Martin Rapide which seats four and should be out within a year.

A lower-priced alternative might be the Maserati Quattroporte. Or the Tesla Roadster if you prefer convertibles and/or are concerned about environmental impact.

iBenzin

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Dodge Viper GTS-R
Ford GT
Jaguar XJ-220
Aston Martin Project Vantage
TVR Speed 12
Nissan R390 GT-1
Lotus GT1
Toyota GT-One

I am going to buy one of these cars someday and which one should I get. I am going to be using it as my main driving car.

Someday eh.... by that time there will be better cars etc etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.