Which car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 748s, Mar 21, 2006.

1. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    I'm renting a car for 28 days of driving in the U.S.A.
    Decided on a rental company.
    They have 2 cars for similar cost, Hyundai Accent and Dodge Neon ($23 difference over 28 days).
    I know nothing about these cars and I'm looking for any feedback on them, comfort, reliability, safety, power etc.
    All I know is the Hyundai gets 31mpg and the dodge 25mpg.
    Just to complicate things for an extra $175 I can get a dodge Magnum (V6 model 24mpg).
    It looks comfortable and spacious.
    Is it worth paying more for a bigger car?
    A rough outline of the trip is CA-AZ-NM-TX-LA-MS-TN-MO-NE-SD-ND-MT-WY-NV-CA.
    The deal is unlimited mileage. Does unlimited mean unlimited? couldn't find any * on their site/policies to suggest otherwise.
    All feedback welcome. Thanks.
  2. iShane macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2006
    New York
    My dad travels quite a bit and he LOVES the magnum, he says its so easy to drive and very comfortable.
  3. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    get the Neon or the Magnum. you will thank yourself later. the magnum will probably be more fun all around.

my $.02
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    That's a lot of driving... I guess I'd probably end up getting the Magnum as a treat. It'll probably be more fun. But it'll probably also be a lot of gas money compared to a Hyundai or Ford Focus or some other econobox.... If you could get a Focus or a Mazda3 or Protegé, I'd say those would be really fun econoboxes and I'd be happy driving all over the place in them. I wouldn't be thrilled being trapped for long periods of time in a Neon or a Hyundai....
  5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    get the magnum. if you don't want that get the neon. if all else fails and you are stuck, get the hyundai.
  6. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2006
    Magnum! It looks better than the others, plus larger
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    For what it's worth...you mention gas mileage... I wanted to mention, that, unless that Neon is the SRT or whatever it's called with the 200 HP engine, it will probably get more comparable practical gas mileage to the Hyundai than to the Magnum. From your numbers, it seems to be rated low, but I suspect the amount of gas you consume in those two small cars will be comparable....
  8. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I would probably go with the Magnum as well, just for the fun and somewhat the look of it. Even though the Magnum is classified as a station wagon the interior is pretty cramped and the cargo space is also (almost) worthless.

Check with your rental company about out of state driving they might add a premium to that. Some place don't like to see that.
  9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    how many people traveling? f one or two, no real need for the Magnum, but if it will be in the summer, it will give you much better AC.

I once did a one-month coast-to-coast-to-coast in a Ford Tempo (approx 12000 miles). It was great fun. I only wish they had invented the iPod then.

Make sure you get yourself an iTrip and a car recharger.
  10. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Get the Accent. Better MPG, and I doubt you'd need the size of a Magnum.

Ignore what people may say about Hyundai's reliability...our family has 3 Hyundais (Tiburon, Sonata and Elantra) and all 3 of them have been on very long road trips and haven't had a problem with any.
  11. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Get the Magnum. Driving a small call over all those miles will wear on you very quick. The extra money is worth it.
  12. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

A small car can be fun and do things bigger cars can't do, like have fun around curves and whatnot. I've driven my Tiburon from STL to New Orleans and back in a weekend, and drive from STL to Rolla, MO and back nearly every weekend (approx 200 miles both ways), not to mention other shorter road trips and have never been worn out from driving a small car.
  13. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005

Why? If you'll be driving that much (through all those states), then you'll apreciate a comfy, roomy car that cruises like a boat. :p
  14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Just so everyone knows what we're looking at here... ;)

I'd go for the Magnum if you can afford the extra petrol it'll consume. And those MPG figures are always quite ambitious!

Attached Files:

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, my Hyundai Getz (the Accent's replacement, but not in America or Canada (yet)) is fun and reliable, and and I really don't think its size is a problem at all in terms of comfort. It's just as big in the front as any other car. I'm talking about a Hyundai hatchback, but generally, you don't need a Magnum if travelling alone or with another person.
  16. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Mustang or Charger. :D

Stuff the MPG figures and do it in style... ;) American Style! :cool:
  17. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    The accent is ugly

if you don't want to shell out for the magnum -- get the neon.

i'de get the neon if you are traveling alone --- and take the 175$ and spend it on some sort of car charger/fm transmitter for you're iPod - and a taco

i loved having mine when i drove from Ontario, to Arizona
  18. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    The Getz is a smaller model than the Accent. The Accent was the replacement for the Excel but is slightly bigger and more expensive so Hyundai brought the Getz in for a more budget oriented model.
  19. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I've always rented the Neon if offered a choice.

It has a bit more pep than the Hyundai, which I have also rented.

I wouldn't be seen in a Magnum, even a rental.
  20. 748s thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    Thanks for all the input, it's very helpful.
    I wanted a '62 Pontiac Parisienne, purple with white leather interior.
    None about for rent.
    The mustang did cross my mind but I don't want to spend time in prison.

I'll be arriving 22nd june and leaving 23rd july.
    So I'll be driving through the hottest parts in summer.
    Gotta love flying across the international date line, I arrive at LAX 3 hours before I leave Sydney (leave 9:45am 22nd, arrive 6:45 am 22nd)
    I will be alone for this trip. There was some interest from friends but they are all off to Thailand, AGAIN!
    It could be an ambitious distance. I was going to the east coast but that was just to ambitious.
    I'll see how I feel at Gracelands, if I'm ok I'll head up to SD, ND, WY etc. If I'm over it I'll head back to L.A.

The rental company is 'Dollar'.
    They are international and the cheapest (drive anywhere/unlimited).
    Searched their site for restrictions on where you can go.
    Doesn't seem to be any restrictions on states.
    They don't want their cars to go into Mexico, taking the car to Canada is allowed.
    I will talk to someone from Dollar before they get my credit card number,
    just to make sure there is no fine print that will add $$$$ at the end of the rental.

I'll pick up the iTrip and car charger when I arrive, cheaper than here.
    Excellent info on the cars from everybody, so good, I'm now more undecided.
    Looks like the magnum is a popular choice followed by the Neon then the Accent.
    I've probably got a few weeks left before I have to reserve one, more thinking time.

Thanks to everyone.
    I'll let you know what I get.

mmmmmmmmmmm Mustang........only $1594.51 for 28 days mmmmmmmmmmmm 17MPG mmmmmmmmmmm prison mmmmmmm
  21. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Here's one... have you considered buying a motor instead???

I'd love to buy some piece of American metal on the West Coast, and drive cross country and sell it again on the East Coast. :D have to be something from the '60's early '70's though... and a rag top too. :D

It's (potentially) more troublesome, and more expensive of course, but... it's the real classic way of doing it isn't it. :D

*begins subliminal chants* do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it :D

Though... don't rule out the Charger, one of the U.S. folks (3rdpath???) hired a Charger not all that long ago... seemed quite complimentary about it. ;) awesome looking piece of kit too. ;)
  22. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Generally, yes. Unless you get a very good small car (see below).

Unlike Gary I absolutely hate the Dodge Neon as a rental car, in fact I just hate the Dodge Neon. It's probably OK for metropolitan east coast driving, but it is severley lacking in power and produces way too much road noise for extended freeway driving.

Small cars I actually don't mind renting are the ford Focus and Toyota Echo.

23. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2003
    Scranton, PA
    If it's a 2006 Accent, they look pretty yummy :p

24. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    give it a laugh...

ok- so i spent all day thinking about this post-
    i read it around 5am this morning and it's now 3pm

here's my advice:
    -- better gas mileage means a lot
    (esp if you are paying)
    -- cheaper is better
    -- since it is just you- more space = no advantage
    -- but- a car w/ a bit of power through the Mtns won't be a bad idea-
    -- Dollar is a fine company- check other companies though for price comparisons
    -- Ask about 'break-down assistance' -- maybe purchase AAA?
    -- look into a Hybrid? -- again- cost cost! -- summer gas prices will be a bear this year-

hotels? camping?
    (good resource)

do you have a GPS unit?
    i recommend the Garmin 2720 - street pilot
    runs about 750-1000 depending on where you get it-
    requires NO COMPUTER to run- all the maps are pre-loaded...etc
    i use it- & love it-
    plugs into the power adaptor in the car to run off of-

background: for a full time job- i travel as a public speaker around the US (& canada) - so i do lots of long distance driving- daily in fact
    200,000 miles in 2 years - was my old record.
  25. MrTchMan macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    I would go for the better gas mileage. The money you save will help you have more fun on the trip.