Which CD will work in my player?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacDawg, Apr 19, 2006.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm sure this question has come up often, but I couldn't find a good way to search for it. I thought of looking in the Guides, but didn't really know where to look there either.

I'll expose my ignorance, but here's the deal, I used to burn CDs and play them in my 2002 Ford F150 in the 6 CD changer in the console. Now I have a 2006 Ford F150 with a 6 CD changer in the dash. Same CDs (I'm using Verbatim CD-R), but they won't play. The owner's manual cautions that there are some incompatibilities, but that it will play commercial CDs (and does). It also says it plays MP3s, but I haven't tried burning that way.

Hence my question: Is there another type CD that I should be using that will play, or is the fact that it is burned from iTunes that makes it unrecognizable? Should I alter my settings in iTunes?

It isn't a huge deal because I use my iPod and play through the FM, but it just bugs me that I can't play CDs that I burn in my new 2006 F150 Lariat 4X4 :eek:

Any suggestions or wisdom is helpful.

Thanks

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What are your settings in iTunes? Do you have "audio CD" checked? Are the songs you're trying to burn bought through iTunes or imported from other CDs? -What format do you import them with?

They should look something like this...

Attached Files:

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

As long as you have the Audo CD option checked in iTunes thats not the problem, the format doesn't matter wav, mp3, aiff, aac etc.... iTunes converts them before it burns. The only thing I can say is for some reason your car doesn't like verbatium, try a different brand. I use Imation my-self and have never had a problem playing them in any CD player.

EDIT: Do the burned CDs play in other players?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You are right, but I was asking about the file formats incase he was trying to burn a mp3 CD, as iTunes can only burn a mp3 CD from songs that were imported as .mp3 (I think... I've never tried it myself).

They at least played in his old truck, so we know they work.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Dawg, when you say they won't play, what actually happens?

Do the disks even get recognised? Does a track count come up? Or do they just sit in the player and do nothing or just spin?

Or do they play but skip all over the place? I had a lot of problems in all sorts of players with audio CDs burned at 8x but 4x worked very well.

Do you have Toast? If so, have you tried making an audio CD from that instead?

Try an MP3 CD if the manual of the CD player says that it will take those... they may not sound as good but they will probably sound better than something that doesn't play at all. ;)

6. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the CDs play in everybody else's (older) CD players in their vehicles

I do have audio CD selected
    Preferred speed is set at "Maximum Possible"
    Songs are all imported with AAC encoder at 128 kbps
    The CD gets ejected as "bad"
    The CD player has no problem with commercial CDs

So I guess my steps are:
    1. Try a different CD brand
    2. Try a different speed like 4x
    3. Try burning as MP3

Any other suggestions?

I suppose I could understand an old CD player not recognizing new technology or something, but this should be the newest, state of the art equipment

The owner's manual does warn that some things will be incompatible, but doesn't specify the exact incompatibilities

Would it make a difference to use CD-RW, or some other variation?
    I never could understand all of those differences

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. HckySo macrumors 6502

HckySo

Ah, my father has the same problem. I resently hooked him up with one of my old DJ amplifiers and PA speakers for this bike shop but he needed a CD player so he ran out and got one of those really small DVD players to play his CDs. Problem is his friends use WMA or M4A or something to copy their CDs and burn them as audio CDs. They work in his old boom box but not in the new DVD/CD player. I told him they have to be MP3 CDs as it says on the DVD player. So yeah, I might just get him a CD player that plays his burnt audio CDs or something.

8. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Dawg,

A couple suggestions. Try burning one song at a slower speed, say 2x and see if that works. This shouldn't take too much time. If that doesn't work, try a different brand of media. I personally like TDK. DON'T buy the cheap 1000/Bundle from CompUSA or the like. Finally, if that doesn't work, try a different burning application such as Toast.

–Finally–
    If that doesn't work, trade in the truck for a Mustang! Maybe one of those new Shelby's? Then you won't be able to afford music!

;-)

9. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Also, another suggestion, which may or may not be on track....

There was discussion a while back regarding data cd's used for music. If I remember correctly, recordable music cd's contain an added bit of code embedded into the disc prior to burning. The CD player looks for the code prior to playing a CDR.

Now I believe this discussion was theoretical or speaking about upcoming products. But there is the possibility this is actually what is happening to you. I'm not sure.

Can someone confirm this?

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Duh I missed that :) I would say the best thought is just to try a different brand CD-R