Which Charities Do You Regularly Support and Why?

Discussion in 'Community' started by witness, Aug 30, 2005.

1. witness macrumors 6502

I've noticed that there have been a few threads recently focusing on how much you earn, what cars you have, how much you spend in restaurants, etc.... I don't have a problem with that, but I thought that it would make a change to talk more about giving.

I don't want to know how much you give, I don't want this to turn into a "I give more than you" thing, I just want to know what charities you regularly support and why.

Currently I support a charity called REACH (Render Effective Aid to CHildren). Apart from the fact that supporting underprivileged children is a good thing, I chose this charity because at lease 90% of what you give goes to what you give it for (some charities take a huge percentage of what you give for "administration fees").

2. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I have a standing order set-up for cancer research, manily because they cornered me on a good day but also because there's a vested interest there - i've a 1-in-3 chance of getting cancer so giving will most likely help me out at some stage. I increased my monthly contribution a while back when they cam calling again but i also told them that i didn't want to hear another word from them - at the end of the day i'm giving my money for research not so they can send out a worthless mail shot claiming responsibility for all cancer breakthroughs.

I should give more but right now I'm always trying to pay off my credit card and then there's my student loan and overdraft, so i'm trying to look out for number 1 in the short term so i'll have more to give down the line.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I donate to Cancer Research too on a monthly basis since I've had a few good family friends suffer from it. Thankfully, many of those recently affected have survived - in part, I'm sure, part to the work that the various cancer charities have put in over the years. I'm also a friend of the local museum which costs a few pound a year but does lots of good work with kids in South London. The only other thing I do regularly is donating things to my local charity shop (Red Cross) if they're in good nick rather than stick them on eBay for a few quid.

More irregularly, it's disaster relief funds, sponsoring colleagues/friends and various local causes when there's a fete or local raffle.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

local churches in the dc area. donating money and working in their kitchens to help feed those less fortunate than myself- i like being able to see a tangible difference.

5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Another one for Cancer Research.
    I also donate to Centrepoint, a homeless charity. This may be to assuage any guilt I feel at not giving any money to guys on the street or outside the Tube station :eek: .
    I also give money to Cats Protection, for sentimental reasons :)

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

yep, i do cancer research too..and the nspcc. I give them both the same amount via Direct debit.

I give to Cancer Research because I feel it's a very important charity..especially as so many people suffer from Cancer. The quicker they find a cure, the better. Plus as other's have said, it's so common you could have it one day. I don't want to get cancer before I realise how important it is to donate

I give to the NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) because again I feel it's an important charity (plus i'm still young, so i kind understand how important it is..)

actually i've been meaning to drop by an oxfam store to do some random shopping. i think i'm old enough now to realise it doesn't mean that you're cheap..heh.

7. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

heh, so true. in fact i was in liverpool st station the other day and there was a woman playing some jazz at one of the 'licensed busking' points. i walked straight past but she was so good i ended up walking back five minutes later just to give her something. plus she was playing
    Dave Brubeck - Take Five which is one of my favourites.

8. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that charities that help homeless people go a great job. I was in Lille yesterday with my wife, whilst I popped into a department store to use the toilet she waited by a fountain. Whilst she was waiting a homeless guy came up to her begging for money and wouldn't leave making her very uncomfortable, the annoying thing is that if you do give these people money they often don't spend it on the things that they really need. Good charities can ensure that the money that you give to these people goes to what they really need.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I work for a charity and support them by doing plenty of unpaid hours. :p

Monetarily, I don't give to any charities at the moment -- voluntary work is my thing instead.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Whitman Walker Clinic in DC - AIDS -related health services etc.

MJ Fox - Parkinsons Foundation - Dad had early Parkinsons.

I need to volunteer more. :(

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Since I am now just starting to make a almost-comfortable living, I plan on donating to battered women shelters and rape crisis centers. I feel that these need more help than any homeless/disease/save the whales movement simply because women are mis-treated every single day,a nd are often brutalized simply for being a woman. I don't think it's fair, so I want to help where I can (hey, the government won't give me a license to kill abusive men, so I might as well help out monetarily if I can, right?)

12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I donate to a couple cancer research foundations. Also I donate to Kaman's (yes the helicopter company) Seeing Eye Dog/Guide Dog service. I also donate for Aids research and Parkinsons Disease research. I donate my old clothes to the Salvation Army and donate my old cell phones.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I support medical groups and local schools, both with monetary donations and with volunteer work.

And I support Apple by buying their stuff. Oh, wait, they're not a charity. :rolleyes:

14. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Not sure that we'll ever see cures for all cancers, like heart disease it is in part genetic and in part a reflection of cumulative damage done over time. The best you can do is make lifestyle changes and hope to avoid developing it. At the end of the day life has 100% mortality and people have to accept that death is inevitable, i'd just like morbidity to be kept to a minimum.

I agree about not waiting until you are ill to donate. What i find really amusing is that people only start donating when famous people or those they know get ill - just look at what happened with Kylie. What we really need is a whole bunch of sick celebs and the charities would be rolling in money.

If giving away old clothing counts as charity then i do that all the time, but cancer research is my local shop so they're getting my help twice over. Have tried sellin clothes at car boot sales but it is more hassle than it is worth.

So in short, the answer to the charity problem would be to feed George Clooney more red meat, force Brad Pitt to chain smoke and give Julia Roberts HPV - give it five years and watch the money roll in.

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Most regularly, I support my college and my kids' private school. I specify that my donations go to need-based scholarships for students who otherwise couldn't go there.

I also support planned parenthood, the wilderness society, and oxfam.

16. Lau Guest

I give to Cancer Research and Friends of the Earth.

Cancer Research because some close friends and family have died pretty horrible deaths from it in the last few years, and anything I can do to help that has got to be good. The family members were family from marriage, so I don't think (I hope) I'm too high risk, it's more in their memory.

Friends of the Earth because I think they're good, moderate campaigners for a cause I believe in.

Oh, and I give to local charity shops and try to donate things to one that I haven't bought from recently so it's all even. :)

At the moment, the time I have means that's about it, and being a skint student, that's all the money I can give. I'd like to do some more voluntary stuff in the future, and would definitely consider doing less well paid/voluntary design once I graduate for a cause that I believe in, especially since I heard that a lot of charities need more volunteers rather than just donations.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There will never be enough money for disease research, since by definition more research is always needed until a disease can be cured, and the more money we spend the more research that can be done.

Newsweek reported, a week or two ago, that the amounts people donate for research on various diseases are not in proportion to the number of people affected by those diseases. In other words, some diseases are "more popular" than others for donations.

But nobody should feel guilty for donating to one good cause just because there are other good causes. We each do our part based on what is important to us.

In the U.S., our tax dollars also go towards medical research, so that's another way we all contribute. Not only does the National Institutes of Health conduct and sponsor medical research, but we also have the Food and Drug administration's Office of Orphan Products Development, which uses tax breaks and procedural streamlining to advance the development of treatments for rare diseases.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

19. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I think they were for much of the 90's.

I donate to NORML, Wikipedia, and Erowid -- even though they're not charities so much as non-profit organizations whose goals align in some way with my philosophies. Which I don't really think is charity, since it's tough to argue its altruism.