Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristiano

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
rslogo.gif

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Blizzard Ent.

I would like to work on something like an the nest expantion of World of Warcraft. I dont want to work in the low rank i want to be the top man, hey since we are doing what we want i get to pick how high up :)

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
images-1.jpg

Why? Because I luv their product. If I had that job, I would never want to go home. They'd have to drag me out of there. :)

I love their calendars. :)

For the AP shooting pictures. Or Reuters or AFP. Possibly Getty. Mostly because their pictures show up in some of the biggest papers and on the biggest websites around the world. Also, they have big budgets, which means I would be sent all over, as opposed to a local paper which would just have me shooting around town.

I knew someone who left here for the AP. Heard back from them the expected workload for a month there (graphic design at least) is about what we pound out in a day.

I work for the government and get to slack off all day. Bliss! :D

They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work?

As for me, I am happy where I am.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Good call on National Geographic, except I'd want to do their photography.

Apple
National Geographic
Ben and Jerrys
BoConcept, or any furniture design place, even though I have no clue about furniture design.
WWF (not wrestling :p )
Building homes in Guatemala
Toronto Maples Leafs (as General Manager, or hell.....as the goalie)
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit (photographic models, or just giving them rubdowns)
Research in Antarctica. I meet people all the time who go there for research, and I'd like to go one day. My research doesn't require me to go there, though, so boo hoo.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
This thread is not for everyone. Some people hate to work for someone else (i.e.. self-employed). But, many people actually work for someone for living. So, let's not waste this thread/band width by posting you work for yourself.

I'm interested in working for Apple, Google, Adobe, UPS, Cisco, Toyota, or Honda in the marketing/sales fields. They are well established business in the world with solid brand name and have been market leaders in their markets. Typically market leaders tend to have resources available to make it to the top (even though there is never a guarantee of it happening).

i have worked for someone else in my life only once, 20 years ago, and it was ace hardware for a couple of years

they were close to being a market leader but surpassed by sears and true value hardware but we often beat them on prices on some things and it was also cool to have john madden be our spokesman

what i really liked about them was, unlike the other fortune 500 hardware and home improvement companies, ace had us cross trained in many departments and that translated to having superior customer service

so even today, though i don't work for anyone, i can still spot a business which places customer service highly or not and in most cases, and it influences what i buy no matter what the product or service

i believe some companies that have superior customer service and are leaders are cisco, mcdonald's, sas software, and southwest airlines...look into those and those were companies that would crop up in the media and in my mba school classes as great, all around companies

but apple inc is probably considered one of the most inconsistent companies to work for and when ever hbs wants to criticize a corporate manuever, all it has to do is look to apple...that being said, apple makes a great product and always has

one of the biggest mistakes people make when choosing a company to work for is that they work for a company of a product they like or admire, but good products don't always translate into good pay, benefits, or working environment

yeah, many of us here on macrumors, me included, don't like dell and micrsoft stuff, but as companies to work for, they are on top...their less than apple quality product has no bearing on their day to day organizational culture

another instance of that was when i was thinking of taking on amway as a client, in my market research business in the 90s, and though i don't like the idea of multi level marketing for me, their corporate level hq in michigan was really on the ball (their hq employees don't do multi level marketing themselves and are dedicated to administering to the company, not selling you anything so their focus is in their job)...i had an idea for them and they put me right through to the top..the founders and their children still have an active say in the company and really care about having a well oiled machine

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
wow, i read through the first page of this thread and people here, understandably, chose apple

but i really wonder how many of these people know anybody who works for apple or have read anything about their "business" as opposed to their product

i would not work for apple, as an employee, for all the money in the world

you are looking for a job, not a computer, right?

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
one of the biggest mistakes people make when choosing a company to work for is that they work for a company of a product they like or admire, but good products don't always translate into good pay, benefits, or working environment

yeah, many of us here on macrumors, me included, don't like dell and micrsoft stuff, but as companies to work for, they are on top...their less than apple quality product has no bearing on their day to day organizational culture

Excellent post and too true. People get confused between the company and the products that they make.

I enjoy my current job and I realize that I am one of the fortunate few who managed to turn my hobby into my profession, repairing watches.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Excellent post and too true. People get confused between the company and the products that they make.

I enjoy my current job and I realize that I am one of the fortunate few who managed to turn my hobby into my profession, repairing watches.

omg, that is really cool

i love watches and i have been afriad to buy a non quartz watch due to 1) expensive servicing and 2) initial price

i have looked at the breitling colt at the local town watch shop on sale for $1550

i also like tutima's basic $1000 dollar manual watch

...but that rolex stuff is out of my reach, even air king basic, and patek phillipe (sp?), well that's only a dream :)

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Airbus, boeing, apple.

I have a friend who works in the aerospace industry. While he enjoys the work, it sure doesn't sound like too much fun working for a company coagulating in red tape. It's unbelievable when you hear his stories of what a hassle it is and how many departments he (and the associated emails and communications etc) he has to go through in order to get anything done.

It's a miracle that they make any profit at all!

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
i love watches and i have been afriad to buy a non quartz watch due to 1) expensive servicing and 2) initial price

A good watchmaker is like a good mechanic - few and far between.

FWIW I sold my expensive watches and bought cheap quartz ones - Seiko and Citizen - because they offer excellent value for money and are very accurate, tough and reliable. Plus I don't think that anyone's going to try and mug me for one of those ;)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Well I'd like to work for my own in a band (I already kind of do, but I don't make much money out of it... yet).

Other than that it would be:

Apple, Naim, B&W or Bang & Olufsen.

Apple for their innovations and general fun stuff. Naim for the incredible technical side of things, B&W for making such wonderful speakers, but B&O tops it all for making simply spectacular equipment, technologically, performance, design and build.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
wow, i read through the first page of this thread and people here, understandably, chose apple

but i really wonder how many of these people know anybody who works for apple or have read anything about their "business" as opposed to their product

i would not work for apple, as an employee, for all the money in the world

you are looking for a job, not a computer, right?

I know someone who works at Apple in the same field I plan to go into, and he says that it's very demanding, but he still loves his job. Based on that, Apple actually is a place I would like to work, though not necessarily for my whole life or anything.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Company?

Well it's not really a company, but I'm always envious of people who work at MIT. I'm always reading articles about interesting projects they're working on. Unfortunately I'm not a sceintist. Just some one who watches a lot of Nova.
Funny thing is I'm trained as an artist, but couldn't imagine doing anything in that field. Don't really have the desire, passion, or drive it takes.

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
I think google would be a great place to work. I read about the freedom they get and how it is a learning environment aswell as work environment. I would never want to be in a job where I do the same thing every day with no breaks....

plumers

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
CA
Boeing - Unknown position - I'm interested in aviation world
Honda - R&D - I'm addicted to Honda, our family has been driving Honda since 1979, I wasn't even born :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.