Which Computer? G4 1.25 dual or G5 1.6ghz for Final cut 4 editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neadam, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. neadam macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2003
    #1
    I have to order this week, and can get either for about the same price. I'm just looking for which one will be fastest in terms of real time effects and rendering in the long run. Will the G5 aware version of FCP4 make up for the lack of a dual processor do you think? Is the G5 faster than the dual 1.25 in FCP4 now? Also, I'm planning to get one of the g4 14" ibooks for traveling editing, anyone else using one of the g4 ibooks with success?Thanks
    Adan
     
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

    LethalWolfe

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #2
    I would hit the FCP discussion forums over at Apple.com. I know FCP takes good advantage of dual procs, but I don't know how well the 1.6 G5 performs against it.


    Lethal
     
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

    crazzyeddie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #3
    I would say the Dual 1.25... even if the other processor only adds half its speed, youre talking around 1.8-1.9ghz. Plus, the major advantage of the G5 is the 64-bit... which won't come into play for a while...

    Dual 1.25 will give you more bang for the buck at this point in time.
     
  4. toughboy macrumors 6502a

    toughboy

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Location:
    Izmir, Turkey
    #4
    the rumor about the lower heartz dual G5s..

    I would say go for the dual g4 1.25.. but there is a rumor about the dual G5s lower than 2 GHz.. if you can afford it, then a 64-bit proccesor would be a good investment for now and the future..
     
  5. mymemory macrumors 68020

    mymemory

    Joined:
    May 9, 2001
    Location:
    Miami
    #5
    I would take the G4 and spend everything in to Ram.

    The difference in rendering... I'm not sure, I do not think so there is gonna be too much difference. The key factor is how fast you work.

    Or wait for the G5 new prices. May be you can change the processor to a dual 2Ghz in the close future, that could be a good one.
     
  6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

    manitoubalck

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2003
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #6
    G4 since you can add a second optical dirve, plus 3 extra internal HDD's. Get an upgraded Graphics card though eg R9600 or R9800.
     
  7. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #7
    In the long run? You might want to go with the G5 then, as you'll be able to blow the pants off of the dual G4 with FCP 6 :p
     
  8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

    crazzyeddie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #8
    If you get the Dual G4, you definitely need to put alot of RAM in it. The more the better!!

    Graphics cards dont matter for video editing... the included card will run everything just fine.
     
  9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #9
    Wait til tomorrow

    With the latest Page 1 rumor creating quite a stir, I'd say wait until tomorrow to see if the fabled price drops/speed boosts are real or not. If so, perhaps you can get either the 1.6 G5 for much cheaper, or a dual 1.8 GHz for not too much more, relatively, as that would be a SWEET machine.

    In general though, the way things are right now, I'd have to say that I see the 1.6 G5 as somewhat crippled by Apple. It is utilizing the latest and greatest chip, yes, however it has slower RAM, slower PCI, and other little things which make it not as desireable as the rest of the G5 family. To me, the G5 PowerMacs should be cutting edge, and as futureproofed as possible, and the 1.6 doesn't seem to quite fit with that philosophy.

    So, right now, I'd say get the G4 dual and go crazy on RAM. But wait until tomorrow and see what www.apple.com brings. ;) And if you're not in a big rush, I would strongly bet that speed boosts, and possible new configurations (i.e. dual 1.8s) will definitely be announced at MWSF in mid-January - but it all depends what kind of a rush you're in. regardless though, you won't be disappointed with the DP G4s, someone correct me if I'm wrong....
     

Share This Page