@@@which computer should i pick, need help!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by minkis, Nov 8, 2004.

1. minkis macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    i currently have an 12'' ibook g4 but i want to do fairly serious editing and play games without my computer seizing up on me. basically i am in the market for eith PCs or Macs. i just need it to have a dvd burner, be fast, lots of hard drive, and a good video card so i can play games and do editing. another problem i have is that i douse my currnet computer to pass time on trips and thats the only reason why i'm leaning toward a laptop.
    i've picked out some ideas for a computer and you can telll me what you think and recommend other computers too. i looking to spend no more than $1650 all together
    -12" powerbookwith superdrive-it can get some editing done but it doesn't have much video ram
    -17'' iMac g5- it does just about everything i need but it too has low video ram but i would save money so that i could get a little portable DVD player to take on trips
    -IBUYPOWER desktops and laptops- basically they can do the most out of my choices but i don't really wouldn't prefer to go back to windows except for the games.

if you could help me out in this delima i would greatly appericiate it. thankx
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    depends on whats more important, the games or the editing.

if you want to play games don't waste your money on a mac. if the video editing is important invest your money in the mac.

or if you don't care about the interface/stability/program that you use then buy a pc.

also, why don't you use your ibook as a portable dvd player for trips?
  3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Maybe you should look into the 15" PowerBook. 4x SuperDrive, 128MB graphics card, lots of RAM, 1.5 Ghz processor... a former teacher of mine recently bought one and that thing just FLIES! It is a great computer. But for editing... I do that on my PowerBook. See sig for details.
  4. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    i have to sell my ibook to gain the $1600, sorry about that i forgot to put that in. and a 15" like you are suggesting would be well over $2000 which is way out of my limits
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    unless you have an external monitor, the 12 inch screen is probably going to be too small to do video editing with anything more powerful than iMovie. I use my 15 inch PowerBook to edit in FCP, and I am often wishing that the screen was bigger.