Which computers satisfy or strain students at Sam Houston

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 5, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors newbie

testMonkey

Make it hard and it will be hard

I know this is less than constructive, BUT:

what a dumb... ass... article. Make it hard and it will be hard. Make it obscure and of course no one will use it.

3. macrumors 68000

"While nearly every college student can operate an Apple iPod with their eyes closed, the vast majority of Sam Houston State University students are unable to log in to an Apple computer on campus."

Doesn't speak too highly of the intelligence level of SHSU students. Maybe they're all just retards.

Or maybe the article is, like Monkey said, just a dumbass article.

4. macrumors 6502

That is some high-quality college journalism there. :rolleyes:

PC's are better-suited for students who need to do word processing because PC's have Word. Apparently the person who wrote the article didn't do enough research to discover that Mac's also have Word and can do word processing.

I also liked the reference to "complicated graphics programs". Is Photoshop more complicated on Mac's than it is on PC's?

5. macrumors newbie

I have read the first 10 or so comments on the article, and they ALL say that the article and/or the author is stupid...!

The site itself is not very ergonomic, in that you can't read the full comments without logging in. When clicking on the link for expanding one of the comments, it loads a page with the full comments but redirects you right away to a login page :rolleyes: . You need to disable JavaScript to not be redirected.

One of the best comments I've seen is by James Pharaon:

6. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

And I always thought education was about "learning" ... guess not.:rolleyes:

7. macrumors member

complete bs

i go to ripon college and we have one login and password to access campus pcs, macs, fileservers, and our webmail. it seems the IT people are too lazy to actually do real work to enforce compatibility...:mad:

8. SMM
    macrumors 65816

SMM

They place a large Windows banner next to the article, then post an anti-Apple story. So, where is this? Texas, right? Where do they make Dell computers (and have a lot of Dell stock, Texas, right? I am shocked!

Which Dell employee placed this here?

9. Moderator emeritus

Dell is in Round Rock, TX, where one of the Mac clone makers used to be.

I'd say something about Texas but ignorance is universal. It's always surprising to find that Apple is some kind of computer upstart. I thought that they helped start things and later, let things go. It all depends on age, I suppose.

10. macrumors newbie

testMonkey

my point exactly

Brilliantly stated. I guess that was my original point (though I forgot to state it). LDAP, anyone?

11. macrumors newbie

At my college at MATC, a lot of the staff uses Apples. Sort of ticks me off that we, the students have about 9:1 pc to mac access. The number one problem I see with people using the school's iMacs, is them thinking that IE is the ONLY internet browser. It crashes all the time, and over half the time I have to tap the person next to me and say, don't use IE, use that compass, its called Safari and its just better. And of course most people think that PC's are easy because that is what they learn in elementary schools, which should be changed, because OS X is so much more visual.

12. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It was exactly the same when I was at Uni in 2002. One login worked everywhere, even on OS 8.6 machines.

13. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I posted the article although I don't work for Dell:p

14. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

As a sys asmin, I tried for many years, unsuccessfully to discourage people from using IE, but for some reason, windows sheep just can't get past clicking that Blue 'e'. So, I install Opera, Change the Icon to the IE icon, name it Internet Explorer, place it on the desktop and in the start menu, set the registry to accept the comand 'iexplore' in the run menu to run opera instead of internet eexplorer, and voila! Now, all I hear is, "Is this the new version of Internet Explorer? It never crashes, it's faster, and its easier to use." I just let them be ignorant.

15. macrumors 6502a

Something is definitely wrong in this article...

16. macrumors 6502a

I was going to add my two cents. . .

I logged onto the site to read the whole story using the bugmenot userid:

grouse45@ymail.com

and password: limabean (although it was not required.)

By that time 30 people had already written in to blast the piece. It's good to see that many people there were fired up enough to trash the trash.

17. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Thanks for that macfandave. I had forgotten about bugmenot:p :rolleyes: