Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Someone mentioned it in a post here but I can't find which one it is. Just picked up my Mini and will probably try out the Dell S2440L monitor. I think I'll like it. I would go with an HDMI but I believe something else was suggested that will work better.

Thank you!

nnynas

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Choose suitable adapter and use the Thunderbolt(TB)-output, e.g. TB-HDMI.
From what I've read through the forum, TB output has been working ok (at least more often).

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Thanks for the info! Just got raped at Best Buy - $44.95. That will be going back after I order one for $10.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Why are you sure that HDMI won't work for you? Works fine for lots of people. I'd try that first before trying a work-around.

RG129

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007

Just received my miniDP to DVI from mono price, and now I'm getting white flickering every 10-15 minutes either on the bottom 1/3 of the screen or the whole monitor!

I switched DVI cables and the flickering became worse! Had no white flickering problems with either DVI cable when connected to apples HDMI to DVI adapter (but got the black screens and snow).

I'm assuming I have a faulty miniDP to DVI adapter. Could it be my computer? I'm going to have to spend more money to try another combination to get a fully functional monitor setup! I'm just collecting cables and adapters that end up not working! The RMA process for these cables just seem not worth it since I'd have to cover the S&H anyway. :mad::mad::mad:

Carl%R

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Sweden
Just received my miniDP to DVI from mono price, and now I'm getting white flickering every 10-15 minutes either on the bottom 1/3 of the screen or the whole monitor!

I switched DVI cables and the flickering became worse! Had no white flickering problems with either DVI cable when connected to apples HDMI to DVI adapter (but got the black screens and snow).

I'm assuming I have a faulty miniDP to DVI adapter. Could it be my computer? I'm going to have to spend more money to try another combination to get a fully functional monitor setup! I'm just collecting cables and adapters that end up not working! The RMA process for these cables just seem not worth it since I'd have to cover the S&H anyway. :mad::mad::mad:

I had flicker as well, kind of what you describe. I had my connection going through a DVI switch. Taking the switch out of the chain I haven't seen any flicker since. I'm using Apple's mDP-DVI adapter with a noname DVI cable into an LG 226WT screen.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV

I did not buy it for the sole reason it was $5

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Why are you sure that HDMI won't work for you? Works fine for lots of people. I'd try that first before trying a work-around.

I agree with this.
Im using HDMI to a 46" HDTV, and although I access my server via screen sharing or VNC most of the time, on the occasions I have accessed it via the TV, when watching movies for example, its been fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.