Which Cord Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by UmaThurman, Nov 2, 2006.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Hi y'all, i just bought a new mbp, and i need to know which cord/cable to buy. I need to hook my mbo up to tvs or projectors in class for presentations. If anyone could help me, i'd greatly appreciate it! :)

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Most projectors have VGA inputs at a minimum, so the DVI-to-VGA adapter that came with your machine should allow you to hook that up.

For connecting to a TV, you would probably need a DVI-to-video adapter (as well as an S-video or RCA cable to physically connect the adapter to the TV).

3. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Thanks a bunch! Hopefully this will work, but the cord is ultra short! like 3 inches! Thanks alot though!!

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Any projector you want to hook up to should have a VGA cord to connect to your adapter. Any laptop user is going to need one to connect to it, and most people don't carry them around with them.

But yes, you'll likely need to pick up an appropriate cord along with the DVI-to-video adapter if you want to hook up to a TV.

5. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Okay! Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll just check a few days before my presentations and see if the room's projectors have the cords with them. If not I'll go out and pick one up. Since it hooks up to the adapter, it won't matter if it's a pc or mac cord, right?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Correct...VGA is VGA is VGA.

It should be a male-to-male VGA cord if you end up needing it.

7. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Well, like i said, thank you so much! Y'all are very helpful on these forums! Thanks again!